Warning 000117 when clipping

01-31-2014 02:58 AM
AngeliquePalle
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to clip two vector layers (the main goal is : I have a shapefile with all the protected areas in EU so polygons, another with tracks so polylines and I am trying to clip the first one on the second one to get only the portions of the tracks that are in protected areas).
     - I projected them in the same projection (lambert conformal conic) using the project tool (and not the ''define projection''),
     - At first they did not have the same extent so I reprojected one within the extent of the other and now it is more or less the same one.
     - All the data sources of the two layers are now the same.
     - But for some reason when I try to clip my two layers I get the warning 000117 and an empty layer. The thing is that it works for one of the track layer with few objects on it but not for the one I need to use and I don't see where the problem is.

Any help would be great !! Thanks a lot,

Angelique
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NeoGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III
If you display both layers in ArcMap, do they overlay each other as they are supposed to?  If not you still have projection problems.
Also, you are using the polyline layer as the input layer and the polygon layer as the clip layer right?  If yes to both of those I would probably try running the Check Geometry on the problem layer and if there are problems run Repair Geometry and then try again.
0 Kudos
AngeliquePalle
New Contributor
If you display both layers in ArcMap, do they overlay each other as they are supposed to?  If not you still have projection problems.
Also, you are using the polyline layer as the input layer and the polygon layer as the clip layer right?  If yes to both of those I would probably try running the Check Geometry on the problem layer and if there are problems run Repair Geometry and then try again.

Thanks for the answer ! yes they do overlay, and the extents are matching, and yes I use the polygon layer as the clip layer and not the other way round. I have checked the geometry and there is no apparent problem ... For the record if someone has the same problem one day I solved this by projecting my data the other way round : I had everything in Lambert Conformal Conic and added a polygon shapefile in Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area that I projected in LCC. It didn't work that way so instead I reprojected all my data in LAEA and it worked that way but I don't really understand why ...
0 Kudos