user defined input in model builder

Jump to solution
07-10-2013 04:18 PM
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor
I'm trying to create a tool in model builder that will run only when the user has selected a specified area of interested by selecting the area on the map.
I have the input .shp file as a feature set but it's still not interactive enough to allow the user to do this.
If anyone can offer any suggestions...
Thanks folks.
Shiko
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
You would need to create a FeatureSet in your model, expose as parameter, ensure schema is set to any old polygon layer, then when you OPEN the model from toolbox you have an iteractive method for selection features. See attached image.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Shiko,

Sounds like you want to be using FeatureSets, have a look here.

Duncan
0 Kudos
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Duncan, but I actually read through this section and I'm still not sure what tool to use to actually allow the user to select on the map the area of interest. Is there an icon or something to let the model know that the user needs to select the area first as a parameter??

Shiko
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
You would need to create a FeatureSet in your model, expose as parameter, ensure schema is set to any old polygon layer, then when you OPEN the model from toolbox you have an iteractive method for selection features. See attached image.
0 Kudos
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor

:)This is awesome....except...where do I find the Select by location tool?? All I see under Data Management is the Select Data tool.
0 Kudos
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor
:)This is awesome....except...where do I find the Select by location tool?? All I see under Data Management is the Select Data tool.

Never mind....I found it....thanks 😄
0 Kudos
TaitRounsaville1
New Contributor

If you wanted to then run analysis on the selection would anything else need to be done beforehand? All this does is select the attributes, but what tool would put them in a temporary .shp so that say Summary Statistics can then be run on them?
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
If you wanted to run summary statistics tool then that should be OK as that will work with the current selection, so no need to export to a separate layer. But if you want to keep the selection as a separate sub-set of data then the Select or Copy Features tool would allow you to export the selection.
0 Kudos