Updating feature class metadata in model builder or python

09-23-2011 11:48 AM
JessicaParteno
New Contributor II
Hi,

Is there a way to append information to the metadata of a feature class in model builder or in a python script. I want to create a script that copies data from SDE and archives it in a FileGDB but I need to add a date and information about the associated project phase to the metadata so that there is a record showing which stage in the project the data is referencing. I have a large number of feature classes that will have to be updated with the same information so I want to streamline this process. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jessie
0 Kudos
4 Replies
deleted-user-j8mLJlqlcYvr
New Contributor II
Did you ever find a way to accomplish this?
0 Kudos
TashaBartholomew
New Contributor
I am curious about this as well, I have a copy and paste system working at the moment, but wasn't sure if there was a way to do it within the model.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
MattSayler
Occasional Contributor II
At 10.1, the only way I know of that might work is to export the metadata, which will be XML, use python to parse and edit the xml, and then import it back in. Wish I could give more, but I haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet myself.

Export/Import are geoprocessing tools in the conversion tool set
XML parsing and editing can be done with built in or 3rd party python modules: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonXml

I'd be interested to hear if you make any progress on this!
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The other main approach is to become conversant with XSLT and merge the information in using the XSLT Transformation tool.

0 Kudos