Unselecting features using Model Builder

Jump to solution
10-04-2013 06:25 AM
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III
I have tried so  many different things to try and unselect some of my data in my model and I can't get it to work.   It anyone can help I would much appreciate it.  I need to unselect the features (places (2)) that are contained in the counties (counties(2)) that were first selected.

Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28045[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
I think I got it. I created a new model, you can find it next to your model.
You can run it as a tool and place points inside counties, just load your data into ArcMap before running it.

Akos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
Hi Steven,

In Select Layer by Attribute tool properties choose CLEAR_SELECTION for Selection type.

Akos
StevenGraf1
I'm using version 10.1.  There is no Clear_Selection.  There is Remove_Selection but I can't get it to do what I want.
0 Kudos
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
I'm using 10.1 too. Have you installed SP1?
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
I just noticed that Clear_Selection is on the Select by Attribute query but not on the Select by Location query.

I will try to modify my query using the Select by Attribute and report back if I can get it to work.
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
When I use the Clear_Selection, it clears all features for some reason.  ESRI should add a command to the Selection Type - Switch to New Selection (removes previous selection) instead of keeping all previously selected areas...I am still stumped on this problem.
0 Kudos
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
Could you share your model and data?
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
I put a label in there describing what needs unselected.  This is a different model from the first one I posted.  I got what I needed unselected in that that one.  This model has an extra step that I need unselected.
0 Kudos
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
Thanks, I will have a look at it, but your Select_Event FC is empty. Could you send it again?

Also could you specify the criteria again, so I can fully understand what you want to be selected at the end.
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
The select event FC doesn't need to be populated because I am selecting things interactively.  I needed it to make a layer file to link the variable 'feature set' to for the schema.

Basically what I need to do in this model is select a point interactively (for some reason you have to choose at least 2 separate interactive points) and select all the surrounding counties that surround the surrounding counties.  Does that make sense?  i.e.  select all those places that are 2 counties away while unselecting every thing else.  This is just a generic model that I will be using as a template to find resources within a certain geographic area.

***Be sure to refresh the map or else the selection won't appear.  Another minor glitch in the software.

If this doesn't make sense I can try to think of a better way of explaining it.
0 Kudos