union: newly added polygons through union appear in attribute table but not in dataview

05-28-2017 01:31 AM
dagmarGermonprez
New Contributor

Hello GeoNet Community,

I work in ESRI desktop 10.4.1 and I have a problem with newly added polygons (throug a union) that do not appear in data view, although they are visible in the attribute table. I think there will be a very simple explanation but up till now I did not find the solution. The layer in question is checked

Context: Some months ago, I created a shapefile (A) containing all administrative locationborders of Belgium, the Netherlands and some parts of France by means of a union of several smaller shapefiles of these countries.

To be able to make one-way joins, I added a new field in the attribute table of (A) where all unique location names appear. Everything went well and I was able to show relative values ('expenses') through properties > symbology > graduated symbols.

As some extra regions in France needed to be added, I made another another union yesterday between (A) and three region shapefiles. I do not kwow if this is relevant information or not but the moment I made the union, (A) was shown with relative values ('expenses') through properties > symbology > graduated symbol.

Result:

When I now undo the showing of the relative values through properties > symbology > graduated symbols and put it on 'none', I end up with a blank map where no polygons at all are shown (not the ones of (A), nor the newly added ones). When I change the 'none' to 'expenses' again, it show all polygons of (A).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the polygon doesn't have a value and is assigned null or equivalent, then you need to assign or use a symbol from the symbology list otherwise they will remain invisible.  Make sure that some value is being used so that 'show nulls' is maintained with a symbol

0 Kudos
dagmarGermonprez
New Contributor

I found the solution! As predicted it had a very simple cause. One that is too embarrassing to post here Thanks for your attention nevertheless!

0 Kudos
dagmarGermonprez
New Contributor

It was too early to declare victory. I found a way round, by putting 'id' as unique value (symbology > categories > unique values). And although all polygons appear in data view, this is not a structural solution I am afraid.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

time to include an image so people know what you are referring to