Select to view content in your preferred language

TIN to Raster

11-06-2015 03:40 AM
KONPETROV
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, I want to use 3 different series of Data in the form of TIN for a viewshed analysis. I thought to convert them to raster because as I saw, I cannot do a viewshed in the form of TIN. My problem is that when I convert TIN to Raster from the 3D Analysis toolbox, although the resolution in TIN is 10meters, in Raster is almost 30meters. Why is that? Can't i convert it to raster and to have the same resolution? The analysis at my raster is being made for 30 meters resolution or for 10 meters at last?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes as I stated earlier.  The link to the help topic is in your viewshed thread.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kon,

Did you try changing the environment setting of the tool?

Think Location
0 Kudos
KONPETROV

Yes, the default were the numbers I wrote above

0 Kudos
LukeSturtevant

Kon,

If you are still having this issue, maybe you would consider uploading one of your tins so that we can better understand what is happening here.

0 Kudos
KONPETROV

Luke thanks for your interest. I don't have that issue, i just put the resolution i wanted at the cell size. My wonderies are just when I have a TIN from 10 meters resolution elevation data, and I create a raster from that TIN  with resolution bigger than 10 meters, for example 1meter resolution (that I define every time), what are the restrictions of that step, you  know the theory. This is mainly my problem, the theory beyond that. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tin to raster How TIN To Raster works—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

raster to TIN How Raster To TIN works—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

In either case, either data structure is only as good as your input data, and that includes considerations of accuracy and in the case of precision you also need to look at spacing between the intervening point (if variable), the type of interpolator or aggregator in the case of rasters.