Terrain Smoothing

12-28-2011 06:14 AM
IraklisKarampourniotis
New Contributor
Hello everybody,

I am trying to do the following:

I have two rasters and I want to blend them. Raster1 is a polygon (Feature to Raster conversion) which depicts the boundaries of a crop field. Raster2 is SRTM (terrain). I want to blend the two rasters so that inside and on the edges of Raster1, Raster2 values are equal to Raster1. Outside of Raster1 edges I want to have a smoothed surface for lets say 100meters away from the edge.

My thoughts:

1. Convert SHP to Raster with Feature to Raster (OK)
2. Set Raster2 values within and on Raster1 boundaries equal to Raster1 values (???)
3. Smooth Raster2 surface 100m away from the edge of Raster1 with a specific smoothing factor (???)

In essence I am trying to bring SRTM (Raster2) at the same height/level as Raster1 while inside the boundaries of Raster1 and when I get outside of Raster1 I want to smooth Raster2 so it doesn't look like it's been cut with a knife.

I've been trying with Raster Calculator as well as ModelBuilder but I can't find the correct functions to use.

I am a bit new to this so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks to everybody and Happy Holidays.
Iraklis
0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The Mosaic and Mosaic To New Raster tools include functionality along these lines. Have you tried it?
0 Kudos
IraklisKarampourniotis
New Contributor
The Mosaic and Mosaic To New Raster tools include functionality along these lines. Have you tried it?

Thanks for the tip but can you be a little more specific?

I thought of the idea of using mosaicing or any other tool to...put it simply...paste Raster1 on Raster 2 so my second step is cleared this way but what about step 3 with the smoothing factor?

Can mosaicing do this?

Food for thought: If I have more than one Raster1 types of rasters within the boundaries of Raster2 will the FIRST Mosaic Operator work or will it choke?
Lets say that raster No1 is Raster1.1, raster No2 is Raster1.2 (both Raster1 type) and raster No3 (i.e. last in the mosaic list) is Raster2. Both Raster1.1 and 1.2 are contained within the boundaries of Raster2. Will the FIRST Mosaic Operator produce the correct results for the overlapping areas i.e. area overlapped with 1.1 has the values of 1.1 and area overlapped by 1.2 has the values of 1.2?

Thx.
ik
0 Kudos