Tabulate Area

10-18-2017 06:44 AM
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I have a landcover raster dataset.  

I have a county dataset. (171 counties)

I am trying to run tabulate area on each county to pull statistics.

It works for ALL but 5 counties...166 counties work fine, 5 fail

Error 010419: Unable to build the attribute table of .... as required by the operation

Failed to Execute Tabulate Area

I tried to repair geometry on the Counties

I tried to Build Raster Attribute Table

I build Pyramids

I then reran the TabulateArea and get same error....why are only 5 failing and all others process fine?

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

isolate those so they are the only ones, then try them alone.  

I would also suggest that you convert the zone to raster first, so that both files are in raster format with the same cell size, extent and snap raster to rule out the default conversion from vector to raster which may be less than satisfactory.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/spatial-analyst-toolbox/tabulate-area.htm

both raster and vector can be the zone file.... but having control over the zone file is best

jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

What do you mean be isolating them so they are the only ones...

What I did was extract the overall LandCover raster to the boundary of the 5 counties causing issues.

Then tried to tabulate area on each county individually.

I simply selected the Single County and then ran the TabulateArea on the Extracted 5 County LandCover Raster.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Did "Build Raster Attribute Table" run successfully, individually?

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I ran the BuildRasterAttributeTable  on the Extract I did of the original landcover...this extract is now just the 5 counties I am having an issue with

It ran successful

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

and did you do it with a raster representation of the zone or are you using featureclass zones.  The help files gently suggest that using rasters for everything gives you better control over the results since you should be ensuring all raster properties are the same when running any tool in arctoolbox.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I can only suggest to take a close look at the raster properties to see what's different about those five, things like projection, pixel depth, number of bands, etc.