Symbology Quantities: Issues with areas with No Data [picture]

04-11-2012 08:09 AM
SamanthaM
New Contributor
In the dataset I have census tracts for various counties in Texas. I am using symbology quantities with a graduated color to show median house value per census tract.

Some of the census tract have no data on median house value. I need to change it so tracts with no data (currently white) are a different color. The problem is, unlike using symbology based on categories, with quantities you cannot simply add a unique value "no data", change the color and be done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13412[/ATTACH]

Symbology quantities won't let me add values to classify no data areas.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
In the dataset I have census tracts for various counties in Texas. I am using symbology quantities with a graduated color to show median house value per census tract.

Some of the census tract have no data on median house value. I need to change it so tracts with no data (currently white) are a different color. The problem is, unlike using symbology based on categories, with quantities you cannot simply add a unique value "no data", change the color and be done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13412[/ATTACH]

Symbology quantities won't let me add values to classify no data areas.

A hack around it would be to duplicate the layer and create a definition query on the original layer to include only non-Null values and in the second layer include only Null value.  Then you can symolize the second layer with a Single Symbol.  Make the two layers part of a group to turn them on and off together.
0 Kudos
SamanthaM
New Contributor
Thank you for your response. In addition, I had another question related to symbology. When using point data, if the points are very close together, one point will overlap and hide the other.

For instance in the image below there are two schools, and the points nearly overlap almost completely hiding an additional school. Is there a way to preserve larger symbology size (8+) and prevent points from hiding one another?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13435[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
I used to have similar problem. My workaround was to convert point feature layer to Graphics at the end of map designig process and then slightly move overlaping point.

If you have ArcInfo, you can also convert symbology to Representations.
0 Kudos