Select to view content in your preferred language

SWIS code help

07-31-2013 08:51 AM
ChrisHutsko
Emerging Contributor
I work for a company that has a list of 35,000+ jobs over 30+ years that they would like to reference easily in a GIS database. They are sorted by the New York State SWIS Codes that can be found here: http://gis.ny.gov/coordinationprogram/workgroups/wg_1/related/spcodes/swis.htm

So for example, I would have: Job A, SWIS Index #, XXXXXX, XXXXXX in an excel file, import to ArcGIS, (IE: Job A, 3720, XXXXXX, XXXXXX = Job A is located in Putnam County, in the town of Carmel, with XXXXXX, XXXXXX GPS coordinates), and have all the jobs plotted on a map by SWIS code using the GPS coordinate assigned to it.

That part is easy. The issue I'm having though, is that I would say between 15-20% of our jobs are referenced wrong. So for instance, Job A might have the Carmel/Putnam County SWIS code (3720) but the GPS coordinates might put it somewhere in New York City (easy to locate, since I would have only Putnam County/Carmel viewable and the dot is way off the map) or vice versa, where a job has a New York City SWIS code but plotting in Carmel (very difficult to locate, since it would be a essentially a needle in a hay-stack with thousands of other jobs in Carmel).

Finding the ones that are outside of my selected city/town/village are easy. Finding the harder ones is tough. I can go through manually and do jobs by town/city using the SWIS index but considering I have a dozen+ counties to go through and well over 100+ cities/towns/villages, my boss doesn't find that very economical and doesn't want me to do that, and I agree. I'm not that expierenced enough yet with ArcGIS where I can import the coodinates and be able to search "3720" and have all the "error jobs" pop up, which is why I'm asking for help.

To sum up, I need to find these two errors:
1) Right SWIS code, wrong GPS coordinate
2) Wrong SWIS code, right GPS cooridinate
Easily, but just searching the SWIS code. However if that's not possible I am open to all other suggestions. My end solution is to find the two errors listed about easily

I am also using ArcGIS 9.2 Build 1234, with not many licenses/features to play with. So any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
0 Kudos
24 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Please follow the revised instructions above.  I have made a few corrections to the process and noted that when you reach the Merge step that you should check the fields before proceeding and let me know if the fields did not come out as I expected and described in the previous post.
0 Kudos
ChrisHutsko
Emerging Contributor
It would really help if I could find a shapefile with all the muncipalities within NYS that has a SWIS code assigned to it as an attribute.

I can't go through all city/town and assign it a SWIS code, there's simply too many.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
It would really help if I could find a shapefile with all the muncipalities within NYS that has a SWIS code assigned to it as an attribute.

I can't go through all city/town and assign it a SWIS code, there's simply too many.

Well, somebody has done it on some map or spreadsheet somewhere, otherwise no one would have a clue what the code was.  Contact the agency that originated the code.  If they had an Excel spreadsheet with the municipality names and types they could provide to you, you could join that table to the municipality polygon layers on the municipality name and probably be done creating the SWIS codes in about 20 minutes to an hour on your feature class layers if the name spellings were spelled the same in both sources (at least for most of the municipalities).

Anyway, GIS can't do magic and just "know" this information without a data source anymore that you or your boss can.  When ESRI develops a "Miracles" license level maybe we will be able to do that kind of analysis.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I went to the NYS GIS Clearinghouse and got the SWIS codes by jurisdiction.  I spent an hour converting it to a spreadsheet for you that divides it by jurisdiction with the code fields the way I described.  The sheet for the appropriate jurisdiction layer should be able to join on the correct jurisdiction name field and you should be able to copy the entire set of code values (full and broken down).

I would convert each sheet to a dbf file or file geodatabase table for the join, but you can try joining directly to each sheet of the spreadsheet.  I would include all of the fields (maintaining identical  field names and types) in each jurisdictional layer with all of the values in the spreadsheet.  Then when you do the selection deletion step I mentioned before select from the current selection for "00" is the appropriate column after doing the Slect by Location, for example Select by Location using the Villages layer with a small negative buffer and these select by attribute of the merged layer for all Village Code values of "00" or all Village Names <= " ".

At this stage you had better give my post a point or I will leave you to figure out the rest on your own.  I am effectively doing your work for you now.  Give points by clicking the up arrow on the right hand side of the post above the 0.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Did you complete this assignment?  The SWIS data you needed has been posted in the spreadsheet I provided.
0 Kudos