Summerize attribute fields in new row, then add as new field to another shapefile

Jump to solution
07-31-2014 12:28 PM
ChelseyAiton1
New Contributor

I am interested to know if someone could help me figure out this problem for a class project.

I have done some analysis:

I would like to insert a new row that has the sum of each attribute field. I have tried using summary statistics tool but only get an error in the statistics field(s) parameter. I would also need to automate this process because in some cases there are 50 parks in the layer. 

Park 1_ sales     Park 1 _prob     Park 2_sales     Park 2_ prob     (made up numbers to show layout)

3                                   .2                    6                    .9

5                                   .6                    9                    .6

New row: Sum=  8                                   .8                    15                   1.5

Then,  I have the park layer. I would like to create two new fields and populated them with the summary row information

sales     prob

Park 1          8          .8

Park 2        15          1.5

Please let me know if you have any advice or if I need to be clearer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChelseyAiton1
New Contributor

I was able to figure out the first half of the problem and create a script to automate the process. The second half is the tricky part. Have a horizontal row become two vertical columns...

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you mean the Transpose tool ?

0 Kudos
ChelseyAiton1
New Contributor

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/Dan,

Yes thank you! I had not heard of or stumbled upon this tool in my research.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chelsey, closing the thread would help others find a solution, if the help did indeed resolve your issue

0 Kudos