String Concatenation

Jump to solution
04-02-2013 10:10 AM
EricStarn2
New Contributor
Hello All,

I am just wondering if you can Concatenate two String data elements together in model builder and how you might do that?

Thanks

Eric
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
If I understand the problem, it's really easy to solve.
See attached.
Basically, you create two string variables (Year and Type).  Both these variables would be model parameters.  You could set a value list filter on these two parameters.

You then use Calculate Value with the expression "%Year%%Type%" with the output type set to String.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23152[/ATTACH]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
Can you be a little more specifc?  Are you wanting to concatenate two String attribute fields together?
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
See this blog post on concatenating field values. This is if you're concatenating field values.

If you want to concatenate two string data elements in ModelBuilder, in-line variable substitution may be what you want.
0 Kudos
EricStarn2
New Contributor
Hopefully this is more specific

What I have or what I would like to do is join two strings together to create a new variable.

In my model I have the Calculate Value tool testing a string value coming in to model to determine which branch to run.

I would like to have two different inputs coming "Year" and "Type"

Attached is my model with a graphic representation of the string elements.

I hope this helps

Eric
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
If I understand the problem, it's really easy to solve.
See attached.
Basically, you create two string variables (Year and Type).  Both these variables would be model parameters.  You could set a value list filter on these two parameters.

You then use Calculate Value with the expression "%Year%%Type%" with the output type set to String.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23152[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos