Splitting large point data layer problem!!!

Jump to solution
09-06-2013 09:34 AM
BineshMaharjan1
New Contributor
Hi Folks,
I am trying to clip a point data layer by another polygon file. This point file is pretty large (millions of points - address points in the US). Every time i try using clip or select, it either freezes with "Not responding" or takes forever (~14 hrs with no results). I am trying to use Dice tool, but I am not sure if I can use Dice tool on point feature. If so, what am i supposed to put on "vertex limit"? BTW, the data is on SDE server. I also tried exporting it to the local drive, but with no success. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Binesh
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Folks,
I am trying to clip a point data layer by another polygon file. This point file is pretty large (millions of points - address points in the US). Every time i try using clip or select, it either freezes with "Not responding" or takes forever (~14 hrs with no results). I am trying to use Dice tool, but I am not sure if I can use Dice tool on point feature. If so, what am i supposed to put on "vertex limit"? BTW, the data is on SDE server. I also tried exporting it to the local drive, but with no success. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Binesh

Your source data is in the SDE, so you couldn't select too many features due to the table space issue.
You can ask the Database Adm to increase your table space to do this, or you can export your SDE source data to your local drive first, then to do data clip.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
Binesh

Have you tried select by location? That may perform better than doing a full topological clip.

If the online help isn't providing enough background for you, Dale Honeycutt posted a very helpful blog post on the topic.

'>Dicing Godzillas (features with too many vertices)

(moved to Geoprocessing forum)
0 Kudos
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
Binesh

Your source data is in the SDE, so you couldn't select too many features due to the table space issue.
You can ask the Database Adm to increase your table space to do this, or you can export your SDE source data to your local drive first, then to do data clip.
0 Kudos
BineshMaharjan1
New Contributor

Thanks so much TKONG. 🙂 That is what causing the problem.
0 Kudos