Split tool suddenly not working to cut line segment into smaller pieces

02-16-2021 01:06 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello! I'm having an issue where I cannot get the split tool to work consistently without receiving one of two error messages. Either it says the split tool must be within snapping distance or the split will result in a zero-length segment. 

All I am trying to do it take a line segment with various points along it and split the line segment into smaller pieces using those points. I have done this exact process literally thousands of times over the past year with no issue. The points are snapped to the line segment and are between the start/end of the line segment. Sometimes I am able to cut the line segment into one or two pieces successfully, but then the error shows up randomly the next time I try it. I'm unable to recreate the error(s) by doing anything specific.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

That sounds like the proportion command. Does that work for you?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No, I don't use the COGO toolbar, and I'm not sure that would work for me anyway. I do not necessarily know the length of the segments I need until I am done drawing everything in based on the orthophotography underneath. That's why I rely so heavily on the split tool afterwards to cut the larger segment up into pieces.  

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sounds like the trace command, sometimes you have to exit ArcMap to get it to clear its mind.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think that may be it after all. Thank you BillFox.

0 Kudos