Could be a potential error in the tool or just me overlooking something obvious, but I am trying to split line features where they intersect point features. I am using the split line at point tool and the tool works for line segments that intersect a point, but it is also splitting some line segments that have no points on or near them. I set my search radius in the tool to be ridiculously small, so I don't think these other segments are getting "picked up" in the search radius. One thing I have noticed is that the segments that are getting split without a point feature nearby are multipart features. Singlepart features without a point feature do not get split.
Attached is a before and after to illustrate what I am experiencing.
I appreciate any insight and help!
You may want to try running the Integrate tool first - here's a write-up on why it may help:
Word of caution, try it on a copy of your data first since Integrate doesn't produce an output - it changes the data directly!
Thank you for the replies. I found similar postings that suggested using the integrate tool and a projected coordinate system, both of which I had done prior to this post. I even created a new feature class, turned on snapping, and created simple line geometries that mimicked my original dataset. My examples are actually from that newly created feature class.
It seems the tools attempts to split all line features. If there's a point within the search radius then the nearby lines get split at that point. If there's not a point within the search radius then the lines get exploded. Since you can't explode a singlepart feature, nothing happens to those features. However, you can explode a multipart feature, which is what appears to be happening when I run this tool.
I've attached a 10.3.1 geodatabase with some sample data if anyone is interested in testing this out.
I stumbled across this thread:
In a nutshell, you may need to write your own script. It looks like someone wrote a script as a basic license workaround, I'll give the link in case it's helpful, but it may take you in another direction since it's a workaround.
I am not around ArcGIS at the moment to test any of this! But, hopefully it gives some more insight... as Richard said:
The rule of geoprocessing is always make complex items the last things you work with. Always work with the simplest items (single line parts) first and then add complexity at each stage of your script in an order that each stage is handled efficiently. Also each additional level of complexity should only be introduced into the process when the simpler objects cannot help move the process forward to the ultimate goal.