Spatial join with multipart polygons

06-16-2013 11:43 AM
HaykYeritsian
New Contributor III
Hello everyone,

I am having trouble spatially joining multipart polygons with points. 

The most interesting part is that there are polygons, whose attributes are joined, while for other polygons the attributes show null values. For example, in the attached image point 845219448 has intersected 10 polygons and shows null, while 845960850 intersected 4 and has all attributes of polygons in place.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks,

Hayk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25294[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hello everyone,

I am having trouble spatially joining multipart polygons with points. 

The most interesting part is that there are polygons, whose attributes are joined, while for other polygons the attributes show null values. For example, in the attached image point 845219448 has intersected 10 polygons and shows null, while 845960850 intersected 4 and has all attributes of polygons in place.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks,

Hayk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25294[/ATTACH]

Without seeing the position of the points that are not matching relative the polygon I cannot verify that there is anything wrong with the result.  It may make perfect sense if I could see the original data, but without that I can't tell you what is going on.  It actually appears that your points are multi-points with 10 locations that did not hit any polygon, but were kept in the output due to your checking the keep all target features option.  The -1 in the first column almost certainly means no polygon was hit by the point and that the records are only there because there were 10 instances of that point object (a multi-point).
0 Kudos
HaykYeritsian
New Contributor III
Thanks for the answer, Richard.

But that 10 points were generated as a result of spatial join. So basically 845219448 hit 10 polygons and generated another 9 points. So I think there is another problem here.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Thanks for the answer, Richard.

But that 10 points were generated as a result of spatial join. So basically 845219448 hit 10 polygons and generated another 9 points. So I think there is another problem here.

Thanks,

You have not shown enough information.  I cannot see the column headings in the picture of the table to know what the -1 value represents.  I don't have a picture of your point / polygon example.  You haven't shown a screenshot of the Spatial Join settings.  A screen shot of the identify tool clicking on the polygons in about the same location would also be nice.  I believe there is something wrong with the data or the tool configuration rather than something wrong with the tool in and of itself.
0 Kudos
HaykYeritsian
New Contributor III
I eventually ran the same procedure for each state and it worked - not sure what was the problem.

The data is sensitive, but I will see if I can provide it so that you can test it yourself.

Thanks again.

Hayk
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I eventually ran the same procedure for each state and it worked - not sure what was the problem.

The data is sensitive, but I will see if I can provide it so that you can test it yourself.

Thanks again.

Hayk

Whatever works is ultimately what matters.  I would say you should check it out with technical support if you want to pursue it, since I have not encountered your problem before and they may have.
0 Kudos