Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial Join CRASHING at 10

07-22-2010 05:58 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, I can run about 5 consecutive processes for a spatial join before Wing crashes and processes no more.  Using a Point and a Poly layer to Join.  Point layer is 774,796 records.  Poly layers vary, but are much smaller than point.  Spatial Join in a list, which makes this a tedious process in that I get to wait for the crash and then remove the layer from the list and then reprocess the list, so it kinda makes using lists not optimal.  Physical Memory drops to about 34,000 K before the crash.  It steadily goes down from the first to the sixth layer, with the sixth layer not completing successfully.

Good Times.

oh, this is running in a File GDB.

There is NO error number generated, it just stops.  Believe it is runaway memory.
0 Kudos
23 Replies
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
The following Spatial Join patch fixing the issue is now available on resource center through this link:

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/patches-and-service-packs?fa=viewPatch&PID=160&MetaID=1857
0 Kudos
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III
The following Spatial Join patch fixing the issue is now available on resource center through this link:

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/patches-and-service-packs?fa=viewPatch&PID=160&MetaID=1857

The new Patch does not seem to fix everything though. I am still having problems with the Spatial Join tool before and after I installed the patch. I have not had this problem before (I believe SP3 and/or SP4).

I bring (2) different feature classes into a new .MXD:
     Service_Location feature class (Point)
     Map_Grid feature class (Polygon)

When I open up the Spatial Join dialog box, the only feature class I can select is the Map Grid feature class. It doesn't even give me an option to select Service_Location or drag and drop it either.
I use to use this tool for a number of combination projects and analysis, but right now, do not have the ability to do so.

Is there a work around?
I am trying to make a new feature class that says - find every "Point" that is inside a "Polygon" and combine them together.

Thanks
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Sorry to hear that. To prepare a workaround I need your data and detail steps you are trying - email me at nahmed@esri.com
0 Kudos
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III
I was able to create a "Work-Around" to get this to work. Previously - I had both Feature Classes I needed in separate Geodatabases. I had the problem of one of the feature classes not being able to be select to be used in the Spatial Join tool. So....I created a new File
Geodatabase - imported both feature classes I needed - and was able to successfully complete the Spatial Join. Before SP3 or SP4, I
had no problem selecting multiple feature classes from different Geodatabases and still be able to run the tool.
0 Kudos