Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial Join CRASHING at 10

07-22-2010 05:58 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, I can run about 5 consecutive processes for a spatial join before Wing crashes and processes no more.  Using a Point and a Poly layer to Join.  Point layer is 774,796 records.  Poly layers vary, but are much smaller than point.  Spatial Join in a list, which makes this a tedious process in that I get to wait for the crash and then remove the layer from the list and then reprocess the list, so it kinda makes using lists not optimal.  Physical Memory drops to about 34,000 K before the crash.  It steadily goes down from the first to the sixth layer, with the sixth layer not completing successfully.

Good Times.

oh, this is running in a File GDB.

There is NO error number generated, it just stops.  Believe it is runaway memory.
0 Kudos
23 Replies
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
I would like to repro the issue. In Wing, are you using the mapping module to get the layers? Could you post a snapshot of your code? Thanks.

Nobbir Ahmed
Geoprocessing & Analysis, ESRI.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Sounds like the classic gp memory leak issue...

Unless ESRI fixes it, only workaround is to break up the process into pieces using os.spwanv, subprocess, etc.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
@NobbirAhmed

Will do next week, but I need to coordinate the data transfer, so email me at tcronin@asrclkrec.com

@chris.snyder@wadnr.gov
Perhaps, I get to use more of subprocess, which I like 🙂
0 Kudos
JamesTanis
New Contributor
I am having the same issue.  I created a model that does a spatial join around 6 to 8 times and it crashes everytime now in 10.  The model works fine in 9.3.1 on a different computer with the same dataset. 

I even tried making the dataset smaller to run through the model in 10 and it still crashes.  One thing I noticed was I tried running each of these spaital joins seperatly in 10 through tool box in arc catalog and after each spatial join the memory never gets released so after my first sptial join my memory usage for arc catalog was at 303,300k and after the second one it was at 660,450k and the thrid one it was at 943,000k, and the next spatial join crashed.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Classic gp memory leak...

Hope that all the progress that ESRI made on this issue doesn't resurface in v10...
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
The memory leak is fixed in 10.0 sp2.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Good news, thanks for the update.
0 Kudos
SowjanyaSunkara
New Contributor II
Is there any fix/workaround to this issue in ArcGIS 10 SP1?
We have a model that works fine in 9.3.1 but the Spatial Join tool crashes in ArcGIS 10 Sp1.
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Just want to add my "2 cents" to this thread. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to run a spatial join of points to points using the closest match option. Every time it crashed. I tried moving the data to a file geodatabase, to shapefiles, stripped down the fields to the bare minimum, removed domains, you name it I did it.

I then asked someone in my office if they could run it to rule out this stupid roaming profile setup we have on our network. Hey presto it worked! AHHH! Anyway the only difference I noticed was that her geoprocessing tool ran as back ground task. I had turned that off along time ago as I think it's pointless and I find the dialog helpful to watch whats going on. So I out of desperation I turned this back on and it worked. 

Seriously cheesed off about this...
0 Kudos