Select to view content in your preferred language

Should there be a new "Python Scripting" forum?

10-27-2010 09:38 AM
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Should there be a new "Python Scripting" forum that is seperate from the existing "Geoprocessing" and "ArcGIS Desktop - General" forum topics?

For the "long story" background on the issue: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/10092-Should-this-forum-be-SPLIT

The basic arguments are (and I am trying to be very 'fair and balanced' here, although maybe I shouldn't 😞

Yes: Python scripting continues to become an increasingly popular and important method to automate GIS workflows and with advances in v10, no longer applies to only geoprocessing tasks. Providing a separate "Python Scripting" forum will make it easier for knowledgeable contributors to reply to Python-related questions and provide a more focused and easy to browse knowledge base resource for all users interested in Python scripting.  

No: Fewer forum topics is better, as many new ESRI users do not know what forum to post their questions under. Having fewer forum topics concentrates traffic and maximizes posts. The more threads in a forum, the better chance the thread will be responded to. Python-related questions are best left in the existing "Geoprocessing" and/or "ArcGIS Desktop - General" forums.

Python users (or would-be users) unite! Help shape the new ESRI forum... Vote!
0 Kudos
85 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
You sound like a Tea Party Member, What does the 490 mean, that sounds a bit strange, but you can't fault yourself for getting out the vote, actually that is quite noble and respectable in this circumstance and you are definitely passionate about this topic.  I am sure if you could, and Esri allowed it, you would put up a reminder notice on the main page to go vote for the new Python category, perhaps Jim will post a note on the main page.  I think that is great.  Public Participation on a community forum is best.

You weren't meaning to say 420, right? 🙂
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
a.  Seems there are only a few in the Yes column who have two or less total posts on the forums over the past year.  Not sure if we should consider those an honest informed vote.   But even without them, it still stands as a strong yes but with low voter turnout.  

b.  I'm not sure who deleted those posts below. (I can see the posts thru my admin tools. It seems it was deleted by the posters themselves, so I won't comment on the content of those particular posts.)

c.  Votes from Esri staff should not weigh nearly as much as from someone outside Esri.  Just my opinion I intend to use.  But then the decision to split the extensions forums was due it to being heavily and almost unanimously requested by both the user community and Esri staff.

d.  Despite it being a heavy yes, I still do share Dan's point about de facto abstained votes.  Meaning, there are far more users who didn't vote.  Will those folks become actively complaining "we don't like the split Python forum" after we split it?  Or do many of them simply don't care one way or the other and will use the forums either way?   We'll simply need to make a decision without being able to know.

e.  I'm going to give this thread one more week (11/19), then I plan on making a decision that I guarantee will make quite a number of people happy, and quite a number of other people unhappy (perhaps unhappy enough to give up and stop using the forums.  I'd like to try to prevent that, but I cannot control it.)   Here's a hint:  If the yes continues to strengthen (with real users), then we'll create a Python forum, but if the strongest opinions either way are limited to just a very small (albeit vocal) set of users, then my tendency without a strong case is to leave it alone.

f.  As for "General" forums being bad, I hear your arguments and there are some good logical points there.  But at the same time:
     -    1.  There should be a place for a catch-all for topics that are outside the more defined topics.
     -    2.  There should be a place for discussion of topics that are more general and cut across several specific topics.  Not every question or topic of discussion is that fine grained specific.
     -    3.  There are always a set of users on the forums who are new to the technology.  They may not know what to do, how, or why enough to choose the best specific forum, or they don't know the terms well enough.  It's important to remember that the forums need to try to help the most folks it can, not just those who've been in the game long enough to have forgotten what it's like to not know what to do, how to do it, or where to turn.   (Maybe the answer here can include more active moderation by Esri staff and selected power-users from the community, moving threads and such.   Are there folks out there who wouldn't mind having Mod permissions to better assist these folks?)
     -    4.  If anyone contends that there are some posts in there because the OP was too lazy to put it in a better forum, and because of that the right users aren't going to be there to answer it, then... ok... it won't get answered.   I have to rely on users who take the time to ask a question taking the time to try to put it into the right place.   But this is what I've been saying all along about a *fewer* number of more *general* forums.  If we go back to making hundreds of very specific forums, that will make it unreasonable for many users to know where to put it, creating more misposting and more inappropriate use of "general" forums.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Jim
Contact me via email should you wish to discuss this further.
Dan
0 Kudos
ChrisBater
Deactivated User
"If the yes continues to strengthen (with real users), then we'll create a Python forum, but if the strongest opinions either way are limited to just a very small (albeit vocal) set of users, then my tendency without a strong case is to leave it alone."

I'm a real user, but rarely post. I vote "yes."

Chris
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
Did you vote in the poll as well? Good to have yet another Chris around. We're taking over.
0 Kudos
JohnSanders
Emerging Contributor
Yes, there should be.

And I am a 'real' user (I gave up arcObjects).  I haven't posted much because I can usually find answers that are already here (thanks to all who asked and answered).

Now that that is settled, you can go to "geoprocessing" and answer the challenging question about copying shape fields from table to table.  It should have been in the "Python Scripting" forum -- maybe it would have been answered by now :).

Thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
I am not sure about that, it will probably end up being moved to the newly proposed Data Editing forum
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/17451-Do-you-want-an-EDITING-forum
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Or maybe even the recently implemented "GIS in General" forum (some interesting content there): http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/115-GIS-in-General

Not sure the forum needs another "general" topic, but then again...:rolleyes:

Go Python!
(and Editing)!
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Not sure the forum needs another "general" topic, but then again...:rolleyes:

The idea as proposed was to have a place where big picture topics about GIS could be discussed.  That is, GIS regardless of product or technology.   Questions about professional development, GIS science, education, career paths, etc., anything other than actually using products, modules, functions, etc.

I don't know.  It sounded like a viable idea and didn't interfere or overlap with anything else going on out here.   I don't expect that it will be too heavily used, and in the thread I recommended perhaps better places to have those kinds of conversations than in an ArcGIS-based set of forums, but we'll see.

Not sure I'd get too hung up on the use of the word "general" there.  😉
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
I am not sure about that, it will probably end up being moved to the newly proposed Data Editing forum
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/17451-Do-you-want-an-EDITING-forum

Good point.  

Perhaps I missed it when I asked before, but as for those who believe there should be a separate Python forum, I'd like to hear what they would say to these two questions:

1.  If I am performing GP functions by coding Python and I have questions, would I search/post in the GP forum or the Python forum?

2.  If I am using Python for Map Automation, would I search/post in the Map Automation forum or the Python forum?

I'm not trying to stump anyone here.  If you're trusting me to make the best decision on what you all want collectively, I need to make sure I have as much relevant info as possible.
0 Kudos