Select to view content in your preferred language

Should there be a new "Python Scripting" forum?

10-27-2010 09:38 AM
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Should there be a new "Python Scripting" forum that is seperate from the existing "Geoprocessing" and "ArcGIS Desktop - General" forum topics?

For the "long story" background on the issue: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/10092-Should-this-forum-be-SPLIT

The basic arguments are (and I am trying to be very 'fair and balanced' here, although maybe I shouldn't 😞

Yes: Python scripting continues to become an increasingly popular and important method to automate GIS workflows and with advances in v10, no longer applies to only geoprocessing tasks. Providing a separate "Python Scripting" forum will make it easier for knowledgeable contributors to reply to Python-related questions and provide a more focused and easy to browse knowledge base resource for all users interested in Python scripting.  

No: Fewer forum topics is better, as many new ESRI users do not know what forum to post their questions under. Having fewer forum topics concentrates traffic and maximizes posts. The more threads in a forum, the better chance the thread will be responded to. Python-related questions are best left in the existing "Geoprocessing" and/or "ArcGIS Desktop - General" forums.

Python users (or would-be users) unite! Help shape the new ESRI forum... Vote!
0 Kudos
85 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
careful Chris, we don't want JB to get the idea that if he sides with you he can add his name to the BDFL list under the ESRI banner
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Ok, here comes the Python forum.   I certainly hope it's as useful as 85% of the active voters believe it will be.

If not, you bet I've got my Nomex jacket and socks ready...   I expect to take a lot of heat for this, but it's worth it.

But seriously folks, thank you all for your input.  I'm sure you all have much better ways to spend you productive time, so the fact that you invested in this issue to help the community in the long run is greatly appreciated.

BDFL?  Nah.  I serve you all, not the other way around.   But as long as I can, I'm here to listen to what you want and act on what's best to evolve how things work out here.
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
WOO we win! Now lets not screw this up or we may not get the next thing we want. 😄
0 Kudos
LornaMurison
Regular Contributor
1. If I am performing GP functions by coding Python and I have questions, would I search/post in the GP forum or the Python forum?

2. If I am using Python for Map Automation, would I search/post in the Map Automation forum or the Python forum?

I would say that if your question involves posting a code snippet, then it should go in the python forum.  Otherwise, it depends...  Pretty sure #1 would go in the python forum though...
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
Do we still need this to be sticky?
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Do we still need this to be sticky?

no.  unstuck.  -jb
0 Kudos