Sharing a Toolbox How to?

11-28-2018 11:24 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So i have only done this once successfully and did not catalog my notes correctly and have found zero solutions. I have a simple model and a mappackage. I have uploaded the map package to arconline to download and open on second computer. Works fine.

Then the only way i know how to export/ save a toolbox outside of arc is to open arc catalog> right click the toolbox and save as> 10.3. There is no other save as 10.5 or 10.6 and i can find no 'export' toolbox function.

When i open toolbox>model builder inside arcgis with the map package, my model has saved the outputs to my designated folder on the original and thus does not work. I have tried to save and then open the model with store relative path names checked with no success.

I have seen a post on this but it makes zero sense to me. My question is what are the correct settings (arctool options and model builder properties) to save my model in computer A, so it can then open and run correctly on computer B?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

higher versions of arcmap will read a lower version's toolbox, so upscale reading won't be an issue. how is your model attached to your toolbox?  Or is just some model?

Create a model tool—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop this is for Pro, but a similar one exists for ArcMap.  A model will be saved in the toolbox if it is created as a model tool

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dan -

I have the regular set up of a model inside a toolbox within a .gdb. I've built several models but only had to turn in for school a toolbox once. I checked my parameters in the old model against the new one and it seems to be the same. By that i mean no parameters or variables needed. All the model has to do is run in the teachers computer. 

As of right now, the only way for the model to work is if the teacher stops at the first output and changes the location, which then in turn changes the input for the rest of the model. All data used in the model is original data that is within the accompanying mappacket. Included is a pic of the first break.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That's what I mean by 'parameter', if you right-click on a bubble/oval/whatever, there is an option to select parameter, make variable from parameter (or something equivalent). A 'P' will appear on the model as a parameter and when the model is run from the toolbox, it will show a line enabling the user to specify the parameter needed for the model

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dan -

I have also tried adding the 'P' parameters to all the data as well, but it makes no difference. I also reviewed the ESRI Model Builder book that has some trouble shooting issues with sharing a toolbox. These have not resolved my problems. Right now I'm open to all options in settings and then sharing in ArcDesktop.

Original Computer build

Yes- Overwrite checked

Yes- Store relative paths checked

Current WorkSpace - ? Original data output set to Folder (.gdb within folder and toolbox within .gdb)

Scratch WorkSpace - ? Original data output set to Folder (.gdb within folder and toolbox within .gdb)

When opened in new computer with map package

Yes- Overwrite checked

Yes- Store relative paths checked

Current WorkSpace - ? Original data output set to mappackage (this auto set, i did nothing)

Scratch WorkSpace - ? Original data output set to mappackage (this auto set, i did nothing)

So ArcGIS knows where to pull the original INPUT data from, but within Model Builder it still attempts to write the OUTPUT into the folder i created on the original computer. I realize i may be saying this wrong or confusing.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your input workspace and output workspace need to be folders or gdbs that are located in the same path as the *.tbx itself. that could be the issue.

I save my toolboxes in a real folder, then I have a project gdb inside that folder as well.  Inputs go to either the project  gdb, including any scratch outputs, then everything is 'relative' to the toolbox.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ill give that a try tomorrow and post the results. Today is all GrassGIS for another course project.

Current: Folder Travis

Output Saves Here

feature.gdb

Toolbox here

Model Builder here

Attempt 2: make output saves to .gdb instead of folder

Attempt 3: move toolbox to main folder where outputs save are

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So everything worked after several different experiments. Adding all model initial inputs from the TOC, and the toolbox is stored in a folder (not .gdb) and saved to a folder or %WORKSPACE% extent in geoprocessing resulted in a successful run on another computer. Here is a picture of my tests, it may not make alot of sense with my crazy file names but their just for my tracking purposes. 

0 Kudos
MichelleAng
New Contributor

Hello, Travis,  I understand that it's been a while since you posted this but can you please clarify what you meant by TOC? Also, what is the %WORKSPACE% for? 

0 Kudos