Select by Attributes from multiple layers

Jump to solution
05-02-2012 05:36 AM
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
I have to update a database (FGDB), and I'm wondering if there's an easy way to use the Select by Attributes or Select Analysis to do it.

Can you use this to select from two layers based on attribute table values, such as "column2" = Layer2.column2 (this doesn't work in particular but you get the idea).

This seems to be something that should be dead easy but I'm at a loss.

Thanks

Mike
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michaelcollins1
Thanks, but I was looking for the Selection by Attributes to do the following:

Select * from Existing, New
where Existing.Object_ID = New.Object_ID

It doesn't look like it's capable of that. I was just looking for a quick solution. I'll have to join the 2 and select from there.

thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucasBannan2
New Contributor III
If I understand your question correctly, you can make selections from different layers using the Select by Attribute tool. The process would be to use the Select by Attributes to make your first selection and once you get those results, go back into the Select by Attributes tool, change the Layer to the new layer you want to select from and change the Method to �??Add to current selection�?? (or one of the other options you may want to use, such as Remove from selected).

This allows you to have both of your query results displaying.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14029[/ATTACH]

Is this what you were referring to?
michaelcollins1
Thanks, but I was looking for the Selection by Attributes to do the following:

Select * from Existing, New
where Existing.Object_ID = New.Object_ID

It doesn't look like it's capable of that. I was just looking for a quick solution. I'll have to join the 2 and select from there.

thanks again.
0 Kudos
JoshuaMcCurry
New Contributor III

One option is to use the find dialog. If the field names are the same in all of the feature classes, you can find: a value In: <all layers>  In field:Object_ID. Once you get your results, you can right click and select. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.