Reverse Geocode inside a Parcel polygon?

Jump to solution
10-20-2014 09:16 AM
CameronBlandy
Occasional Contributor

We have a cadastre polygon feature class. Some of the features have a Name associated with the lot (i.e. Neighbourhood Park). I would
like to be able to reverse geocode using  coordinates to find out which Park Name the coordinates fall in. I have tried the using the General – Single
Field style but it only geocodes to the centroid of the polygon if I am within the distance specified. I also tried using the Gazetteer style and that was a
little better but did not seem to work in a Composite Locator when combined with Street based locators. Maybe I need a custom style.

I am using 10.0 SP5.

I hope somebody is able to help me or point me in the correct direction.

Regards,

Cameron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CameronBlandy
Occasional Contributor

Brad from ESRI gave me the solution so I am posting here for all users. Here it is:

Go to the locator style (%ArcgisInstallDirectory%\Locators) and open the General.lot.xml in a text editor (I would suggest Notepadd++).  Look for mapping_schema name="SingleField"t used here so t worry about that) in the XML file.  If you look in the XML just ” section.

If you comment this out, the locator will be built with polygons instead of points.  It will make the locator slower but will  work better for reverse geocoding.  You can comment this out by adding a “<!—“ before the first “<conversions>” tag and “-->” after the“</conversions>” tag like you see below:

<!--<conversions>

<conversion>

<mapping ase_ref="Shape">

<method ref="calc_polygon_centroid">    
                    <parameter>

<field_value ref="Shape" />

</parameter>

</method>

</mapping>

</conversion>

</conversions>-->

After this you will need to re-create your locator (not rebuild).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CameronBlandy
Occasional Contributor

Brad from ESRI gave me the solution so I am posting here for all users. Here it is:

Go to the locator style (%ArcgisInstallDirectory%\Locators) and open the General.lot.xml in a text editor (I would suggest Notepadd++).  Look for mapping_schema name="SingleField"t used here so t worry about that) in the XML file.  If you look in the XML just ” section.

If you comment this out, the locator will be built with polygons instead of points.  It will make the locator slower but will  work better for reverse geocoding.  You can comment this out by adding a “<!—“ before the first “<conversions>” tag and “-->” after the“</conversions>” tag like you see below:

<!--<conversions>

<conversion>

<mapping ase_ref="Shape">

<method ref="calc_polygon_centroid">    
                    <parameter>

<field_value ref="Shape" />

</parameter>

</method>

</mapping>

</conversion>

</conversions>-->

After this you will need to re-create your locator (not rebuild).

AndrewMilanes
Occasional Contributor II

What is the equivalent solution when using Pro?

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi the procedure is the same if you are using a Single Field style locator, its just the location of the style file in Pro has changed, by default it will be at:  C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Locators