Select to view content in your preferred language

Request to split ArcGIS geoprocessing forum into subtopics

08-09-2010 03:30 PM
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Hi,

I noticed that the ArcGIS "Functions" forum topics have the following breakdown as of 08/09/2010:

(apologies for the poor formatting...)
FORUM----------------------------THREADS%-------POSTS%
-------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Data--------------------------1.00%------------0.64%
Cartography-----------------------4.44%------------4.36%
Data Models-----------------------3.08%------------2.14%
Enterprise GIS--------------------0.79%------------0.42%
Geocoding-------------------------0.36%------------0.16%
Geodatabases/ArcSDE------------27.22%----------27.94%
Geoprocessing--------------------45.27%-----------48.01%
Imagery/Raster Data-------------12.61%-----------12.11%
Interoperability and Standards--1.29%-------------0.73%
Map Automation------------------3.15%-------------3.18%
Map Templates--------------------0.79%-------------0.31%
Nautical Mapping------------------0.00%-------------0.00% (Nautical Mapping?)
----------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL------------------------------100%--------------100%

Based on this summary, it is quite easy to see that the Geoprocessing forum topic has by far the most traffic in terms of thread topics and "chatter" about those topics. I would like to formally request that esri split the existing Geoprocessing forum topic into at least three subtopics:

1. Geoprocessing (General)
2. ModelBuilder
3. Scripting (e.g. Python) - Personally I would put 'Map Automation via Python scripting' in here as well since it is so related...

Another simpler option would be to just create a new forum topic called "Scripting" 🙂

As a dedicated contributor to the poorly organized existing Geoprocessing forum, I find it hard to continue my contributions when there is an ever-increasing volume of seemingly non-relevant thread posts and an ever increasing level of disorganization within (in it's current state) an EXTREEMLY broad topic that obviously needs to be split into at least several sub-topics. in it's current incarnation, it includes nearly half of all the posts in the entire ArcGIS "Functions" category. Seems a bit out of whack to me...

Also, I have to say it: I am baffled that there is an apparently new forum topic called "Nautical Mapping" (0 posts so far), and NOT a dedicated ModelBuilder or Scripting forum. Cmon... Nautical Mapping? :confused: What the?!?!

Please esri - I am not alone in my frustrations here...
0 Kudos
81 Replies
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
Well I think that the three forum GP break down would work for people who know what they want to do in a general sort of way but still leaves out the people who dont know where their post should go. We need an extra forum for people with "How should I do this?" questions. Their post may wind up being in a, b, or c but not until they know which avenue to go down.

Forum a) Draggers & Droppers (The Dark Arts of Model Builder)
Forum b) White space matters (Zen and the Art of ArcPy)
Forum c) Far too much overhead (ArcObjects)
Forum d) How do you spell geoprocessor? (General questions)

Edit: I would like to add that a #GP may be a good idea. Its harder to moderate an IRC channel than a forum, but for syntax questions #python is very helpful and would cut out a lot of one post-one reply chatter.
0 Kudos
SheriNorton
Frequent Contributor
Yes - but I really like the idea of separate forums for Model Builder versus Python. I've used both, but VERY novice with Python and would love to field questions to folks specific to that subject.
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks everyone for all of the opinions so far.   Keep them coming and get your friends to weigh in.

Once discussion on this thread starts to slow down considerably, we'll make a decision based on what you collectively want.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
I know I already chimmed in with an opinion, but at that time I wasn't leaning one way or another.
After putting more thought into it I'm placing my vote on leaving the forum as-is.

Why?
Because I think the forum should be easiest to use by those who use it the least. I realize that may seem like backward logic but the majority of people who have responded to this thread are the ones who answer questions day in and day out. I don't have numbers to back any assumptions up, but I'd wager that the majority of users on here are very casual users. I wouldn't want to see people frustrated on the simple point of where to place a question. (submitting your question to the right spot shouldnt be a hurdle, just getting the answer is the hurdle)

I do sympathize with the "answer-ers" though. The ones who come here every day want to find the topics they care about the most and can answer quickly. You're all doing this because you want too, because you enjoy helping and of course you should be able to do that in an easy and efficient manner.

Thats my 3cents. A lot of good discussion so far from the community, hope to see more...
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Good points Kevin.  Either way, we have to make it easy and useful for both askers and answerers.  It's sort of a chicken-egg problem, so we need them both.

If it's not easy to ask, then there's a lot less to answer.
But if it's not easy to answer, then there's little point to asking.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Kevin
so is that a wobbly "don't split" as I suggested?
I am pushing in that direction...lean there
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Kevin
so is that a wobbly "don't split" as I suggested?
I am pushing in that direction...lean there

Exactly, Dan.
Jim just said it a little more eloquently by using the chicken and the egg reference.
But trust that my vote doesn't count. I'll continue to check the forum(s) regardless of their direction. The only votes that count are the ones without esri staff beside them. That's why these are User Forums :). I'm just trying to contribute something productive to the discussion.
0 Kudos
RDHarles
Regular Contributor

I think the forum should be easiest to use by those who use it the least. I realize that may seem like backward logic but the majority of people who have responded to this thread are the ones who answer questions day in and day out. I don't have numbers to back any assumptions up, but I'd wager that the majority of users on here are very casual users. I wouldn't want to see people frustrated on the simple point of where to place a question. (submitting your question to the right spot shouldnt be a hurdle, just getting the answer is the hurdle)

You may be right that the majority of users are casual users but I totally disagree that leaving one generic forum makes posting easier.  When the new forum first came out, I bet it took me 15 minutes to figure out where to find the "python forum".  I never even considered it would be all lumped together in a forum called "Geoprocessing".  I would bet one forum makes it  more difficult  for the casual user, especially for those that are looking for a specific problem solved like 'model builder' or 'python'.
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
Well R.D. are you then in favor of a forum split into Scripting and MB? Scripting could be also named Python to remove any confusion with Objects. Frankly if you are going deep enough into this stuff that you have decided to learn Objects, you probably can find the Objects forum that already exists on your own. We dont see many Objects questions in the general GP forum so I think its fair to assume those people know what to look for in that regard. Having a Python forum though would pull some of the Map Auto people into the Python forum, but there was a bit of an overlap there anyways. I think there is a consensus that general GP without mandating tagging is confusing but splitting without maintaining a general forum of some sort will dissuade the uninitiated.
0 Kudos
RDHarles
Regular Contributor
Well R.D. are you then in favor of a forum split into Scripting and MB?

I am still in favor of those being split.  I still believe the forums would best be split based on the person's background (whether you're the poster or answering the post):

1.) Python
2.) Modelbuilder
3) Tools (ArcToolBox) 

For those that don't yet know where to put their question, I don't think there's any great solution.   It seem they are going to have to pick one and it won't always be right.  Having said that, it's still better if the majority of questions get into the correct forum than to have to weed through all questions in one general forum.
0 Kudos