Select to view content in your preferred language

Modelbuilder Help - Multiple inputs with different buffer values

10-27-2010 06:32 AM
MikeWarner
Emerging Contributor
Hello,

I'm having some trouble using modelbuilder to create a generic model that will do the following:

1.) Buffer multiple inputs (sometimes I have 5 inputs other times I have 10), each with a different buffer distance.

2.)  The buffer outputs are then merged together [to create buffer_merge.shp].

3.)  buffer_merge.shp is then merged with another input dataset [to create buffer_merge2.shp]

4.)  buffer_merge2.shp is then dissolved to create a single output layer named final_output.shp.

The model must be generic because, like I mentioned, the number of inputs and buffer distances change with each project.

To me this seems to be a fairly simple process but I can't seem to find a way to make it work.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LornaMurison
Regular Contributor
What happens when you set the buffer input as a list?
0 Kudos
MikeWarner
Emerging Contributor
What happens when you set the buffer input as a list?

Lady_Jane,

If I set the buffer input as a list, the final output will be multiple outputs instead of just one. 

For example, if I set it as a list and add 5 buffer inputs to my model, I end up with 5 outputs instead of the one, condensed output that I'm looking for.
0 Kudos
LornaMurison
Regular Contributor
In that case, what does the first merge do?  Does it just merge the first buffer output with nothing?
When you change the buffer to a list, the first merge automatically changes to a list as well, right?
If so, can you change it back?
I feel like I've had this problem before I just can't remember how/if I solved it.
0 Kudos