Repetitive Select by Attribute

02-16-2015 01:58 PM
AndyMinor
New Contributor

I am looking for a way to speed up my tasks of selecting streets by street names. I need to find and select streets by their name and tag them between certain intersections. Is there a way to not have to select and delete the previous query from the Select by Attribute box so I only have to double click the new query street name and click apply?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Just to be clear, are you hoping for something like a dropdown list of streetnames that would select and zoom to the chosen street?

0 Kudos
AndyMinor
New Contributor

No, just a way to select the next value and have it replace the street name in the query box without having to select the existing street name in the query box.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Are you just selecting the street in order to zoom to it, and then selecting the portion to update? If so, you could skip the initial selection and use the streets as a data driven page index, instead. This will let you cycle through each street name, zooming to each street in order.

0 Kudos
AndyMinor
New Contributor

That won't work. I am tagging sections of streets to highlight routes. I am searching the street data for streets included in the routes. It jumps around and only includes a small percentage of the streets. I am just looking for a way to not have to select the street name to put the next street in the query box. See below. I am trying to save 5+/- seconds for each street by not having to clear the previous query result.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

An alternative workflow that may work better than doing many selections:

1.  Open the attribute table for your streets

2.  Right-click on the "FULLNAME" field heading and choose "Sort Ascending"

3.  Scroll to street of interest and select it.

4.  Use the "Zoom to Selected" tool.

ZoomToSelected_table.jpg

5.  Return to step 3 to repeat for the next street.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos