Remove Join Tool not allowing background processing of Model

Jump to solution
12-10-2013 01:01 AM
PaulBrown2
New Contributor II
Hello,

Can anyone help!? I have a reasonably complex Model and want to Geoprocess in the background; however the "Always run in foreground" option is checked and greyed out. The reason for this is that I have the 'Remove Join' System Tool in my Model and in the Joins Toolset the Remove Join Tool also has the "Always run in foreground" option checked and greyed out so is passing this onto the Model. Is there any way to un-grey and uncheck this option in System Tools? This is a change in 10.1 as the Remove Join Tool does not have the "Always run in foreground" option checked in 10.0.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Regards

Paul
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Paul,

Some problems were found with Remove Join running in the background. We tried quite a few solutions but weren't satisfied with any , thus the only safe solution was to modify it to the foreground.

Internally it's still an open issue on trying to get the right fix. If/when we can get it right, we'll allow it to execute in the background.
(Note: with the upcoming release of 10.2.1 it is still a foreground only tool).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Paul,

Some problems were found with Remove Join running in the background. We tried quite a few solutions but weren't satisfied with any , thus the only safe solution was to modify it to the foreground.

Internally it's still an open issue on trying to get the right fix. If/when we can get it right, we'll allow it to execute in the background.
(Note: with the upcoming release of 10.2.1 it is still a foreground only tool).
0 Kudos
PaulBrown2
New Contributor II
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the information; I thought this might be the case. I shall try and modify the model to utilise the Join Field Tool instead of the Add Join/Calculate Field/Remove Join process.

Thanks again

Paul
0 Kudos
GregNichols
New Contributor II

Still is an issue in version 10.5.1.   Disappointing.

The Join Field tool can be VERY slow, perhaps defeating your reason for wanting to run in the background.   Recommend at least using the "in_memory" workspace to help performance.

A workaround might be to just create a new feature layer AFTER (precondition) you do your calc., which I assume is your reason for a temporary join.   The new feature layer will have your calced field and no lingering join.

Greg

0 Kudos