"copy features" tool not updating shape when ran as a service

02-02-2015 02:48 PM
davidzornosa
New Contributor III

Hi

This whole arcgis thing seems very hard for me, so maybe what i'm asking is something very very simple.

I have a model that uses the "copy features" tool and writes down a shape file. When i run it as a tool, the shapefile is created. But when i export the tool as a service, if invoke the service the shapefile is not updated.

if i delete the shapefile created when i ran the tool, the service invokation does not create the shapefile either. No errors, no logs, no nothing. Maybe i'm missing some conceptual stuff here.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the copy features tool is one of those tools that won't overwrite existing files even if overwriting outputs is specified.  This is the case within ArcMap anyway, so I imagine the same applies if the underlying code is shared

0 Kudos
davidzornosa
New Contributor III

hi dan, thanks. would you suggest an alternative tool?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't do service stuff...but in ArcMap, if I need to use it, I ensure that the file is removed from the arcmap session (to remove file locks), then I delete (using Delete_Management in ArcToolbox) or I use FeatureClassToFeatureClass if caught in a pinch sometimes necessitating creating a new file (with the old one deleted later).

In short, whatever you are using/doing, the file can only be overwritten if it is not being referenced by something else.  I normally work in code with little involvement or interest in the visual result, so use my suggestions as a guide since my workflows will undoubtedly differ from yours

0 Kudos