Problem with polyline KML output, help wanted!

10-01-2012 05:26 AM
JamesMurray
New Contributor
Hi there,

I'm wanting to display a simple 3D polyline in Google Earth... The dataset are points collected from a total station.

1. I created a feature class from ArcCataloge by right clicking a .CSV file with Point_ID, Easting, Northing and Height fields and creating from XY table.

2. I then invoke the 'Points to Line' tool from the arcToolbox; (Data Management Tools, Features, Points to line). At this stage the polyline can be viewd in ArcScene as nomal in 3d.

3. I then export to .KML to view in Google Earth (Conversion Tools, To KML, Layer to KML)

4. When I import into Google Earth, the polyline mysteriousely has a very small ranging, incorrect height profile. The polyline appears to be sitting flat on the surface. The projection data is GDA94 (I've also tried converting to WGS84 with the same result). Also, my individual points also appear to be bearely above the Google Earth surface when I import these.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
Hi there,

I'm wanting to display a simple 3D polyline in Google Earth... The dataset are points collected from a total station.

1. I created a feature class from ArcCataloge by right clicking a .CSV file with Point_ID, Easting, Northing and Height fields and creating from XY table.

2. I then invoke the 'Points to Line' tool from the arcToolbox; (Data Management Tools, Features, Points to line). At this stage the polyline can be viewd in ArcScene as nomal in 3d.

3. I then export to .KML to view in Google Earth (Conversion Tools, To KML, Layer to KML)

4. When I import into Google Earth, the polyline mysteriousely has a very small ranging, incorrect height profile. The polyline appears to be sitting flat on the surface. The projection data is GDA94 (I've also tried converting to WGS84 with the same result). Also, my individual points also appear to be bearely above the Google Earth surface when I import these.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Hi James

It first seems that the KML height hasn't been set correctly within Google Earth. If you look at the properties of the kml within Google Earth you can set the relation of your Z values to the ground level. Not sure if this is the problem, but give it a try.

Regards
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you using 10 or 10.1?

At 10.0 its mostly "what you see is what you get" coming from ArcMap/ArcGlobe using the Layer to KML tool.

At 10.1 you have more options, what you see, or you can have fine control over feature creation on a per feature basis using field attributes.

If you're using 10.1, I have the doc updated internally to explain how to use the field attributes (its making its way through the copy edit process). Hopefully it'll get pushed to the web in the next couple weeks. If you want it before then, I'll cut out the appropriate pieces and post here. Just let me know.
0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Are you using 10 or 10.1?

At 10.0 its mostly "what you see is what you get" coming from ArcMap/ArcGlobe using the Layer to KML tool.

At 10.1 you have more options, what you see, or you can have fine control over feature creation on a per feature basis using field attributes.

If you're using 10.1, I have the doc updated internally to explain how to use the field attributes (its making its way through the copy edit process). Hopefully it'll get pushed to the web in the next couple weeks. If you want it before then, I'll cut out the appropriate pieces and post here. Just let me know.

Hi Kevin

I'd really be interested in having a look at the following document.

Regards
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Sure. Find attached.
This piece will find its way into this document: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00s200000009000000
Right after the first large table, and before the "Maps" section.

Let me know if you still have questions after having a read.
0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Sure. Find attached.
This piece will find its way into this document: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00s200000009000000
Right after the first large table, and before the "Maps" section.

Let me know if you still have questions after having a read.

Thanks Kevin

The help document looks really good.

Regards
0 Kudos