Printing from Web map with Geoprocessing Service Issue

10-02-2013 03:38 PM
olivermcrobbie
New Contributor
Hello,

I've been following the Advanced high-quality web map printing/exporting using arcpy.mapping tutorial for ArcGIS 10.1.  I want to set things up slightly differently though.  I have a web application with a tiled basemap, when the map is printed I want that tiled basemap to be replaced with the actual data, so that the output is vector.  The template mxd contains the layout and the datasets I want to include in the generated output.  Following the tutorial, I created a geoprocessing service--I tweaked the python code to remove the tiled layer.  The output is fine except for one thing, features in the main dataframe are being rasterized.  I've further tweaked the gp service to remove all rasterizing layers, but to no avail.  I've even toggled off all graphics layers in the app before running the process, also no luck.  The folder that has the mxd and all the data contained within is properly registered with arcserver 10.1.  I'd like to know if this is possible, what I'm doing wrong or if I should change my strategy.  Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
olivermcrobbie
New Contributor
Solved.  I guess I was expecting too much from the api.  After much experimentation I realized that the presence of service layers in the mxd was forcing rasterization.  I added the data to the staged mxd and set the gp service to remove service layers.  It would've been useful to have this information before I spent several hours puzzling over this.
0 Kudos