Point to Line tool

06-03-2016 11:14 AM
MarcSmith-Doiron
New Contributor

Shapefile is not created while using the Point to Line tool.  Not receiving any error, just shapefile is not being saved.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Perhaps share the Python script you're using, or a screenshot of your tool dialog. Also, what version and product are you using? More details, please.

MarcSmith-Doiron
New Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS 10.2 Advanced License.

My input file is a point shapefile.

Even though I stated a location (tried different directories) for the output file. it is not saved.  There were also no errors in the session.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Lets try a visual

Points_to_line.png

MarcSmith-Doiron
New Contributor

As you can see the Elapsed Time is 0.00 seconds.  don't know why it's not working.

0 Kudos
MarcSmith-Doiron
New Contributor

Here are a few observations from my dataset.  It is a CSV file.  I import it into ArcGIS and create a point shapefile (WGS_1984).

grouplatlon
137.078-83.392
137.09-83.335
137.102-83.278
137.116-83.222
137.13-83.166
137.146-83.111
137.164-83.056
137.182-83.002
137.203-82.949
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

make the csv file an event layer using File, Add Data, Add XY data and bring it into a new arcmap data frame

just for fun, save it as a featurelayer or even its own shapefile by exporting it.

use that file in the tool, ensuring that you have no records selected and that the layer indeed does show on screen

PS

pick a file path without spaces

don't use anything other than letters, numbers and the _ in file names  ie no '-' just to be safe

MarcSmith-Doiron
New Contributor

Tried everything that you mentioned, still does not work.  I'm wondering if there is a problem with my Point to Line tool.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Just to beat a dead horse, I get the following error when I try to save using your file name, because it contains a hyphen. No hyphen, no problem. I'm not sure why you don't see this error.

MarcSmith-Doiron
New Contributor

Sorry about that, I noticed the error with the hyphen in the name, I corrected it, but still got the same problem  I spoke with the person I got the data from, and he was able to use the Point to Line tool with no problems.  He's thinking that there might be a glitch in my Point to Line tool.  I will probably need to contact ESRI about this issue.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos