Point Clusters

05-19-2014 05:47 AM
LH1
by
New Contributor
I would like to show clusters of points, and then export this information into a feature class or layer. I have tried the buffer tool, which gave me the information that I wanted. However, I do not know how to only export the buffers that have the point clusters. In other words, I am tracking areas in a city where there are clusters of a feature. I want to show where these clusters are in order to streamline our workflow. Any tips?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Just buffer only the clusters

I would like to show clusters of points, and then export this information into a feature class or layer. I have tried the buffer tool, which gave me the information that I wanted. However, I do not know how to only export the buffers that have the point clusters. In other words, I am tracking areas in a city where there are clusters of a feature. I want to show where these clusters are in order to streamline our workflow. Any tips?
0 Kudos
LH1
by
New Contributor
No, I want to use the buffer to illustrate where these clusters are. If I am misunderstanding you, please let me know.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
The description you have provided is a bit vague and I am not certain what you really want to do.  However, several tools may apply to this problem in addition to the buffer tool.  The Dissolve tool with the multipart option unchecked or the Multipart to Singlepart tool may be useful for creating merged buffers only where they touch each other and the Spatial Join tool may be useful for getting point summary counts related to each buffer that would let you select them based on some count criteria.  The Select by Location tool may also apply.  Any selection of features can be exported as a set to separate them from other features you did not select.
0 Kudos
LH1
by
New Contributor
Sorry for the confusion. Basically, I have a set of points. I want to set up a relationship class which will link the clustered points together for modeling purposes. By finding where the clusters are, it will improve my workflow. Does this help?
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Sorry for the confusion. Basically, I have a set of points. I want to set up a relationship class which will link the clustered points together for modeling purposes. By finding where the clusters are, it will improve my workflow. Does this help?

The tools I mentioned all apply to this problem, with buffer, dissolve and/or Multipart to Single part getting your merged touching buffers.  Spatial Join is your friend to create the relationship between the points and the buffers.  It sounds like you need to make the points the target and the buffers the join input.  I would use the One to Many option to get the ObjectID relationship created.  The JoinOID of the spatially joined point output will relate to the buffer polygon ObjectID values.

Experiment with these tools.
0 Kudos
LH1
by
New Contributor
Thanks! I will look into this now.
0 Kudos