Null Values with Extract Multi Values to Points

09-21-2011 07:47 AM
MichaelWhitby1
New Contributor
When I use the Extract Multi Values to Points (Spatial Analyst) all my points receive a <null> value even though there are values in the rasters (DEM and aspect) where the points are located.

I tested the Extract Values to Points tool, and the results were correct; However I would like the values in the original point file and to do multiple rasters at once. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?
0 Kudos
23 Replies
YvanStg
New Contributor II
Hi Ryan,

I use ArcGIS Desktop 10.0.
Does the SP1 apply to ArcGIS 10.0 as well ? or only 10.1 ?

I made a model using the solution provided in this thread, but even that is not as efficient as the tool used to be. I am still confused in regard to why a tool that worked fine before does not work anymore even though I am using the same datasets, same projections, same version of ArcGIS.

best,
Yvan
0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor
Hi Ryan,

I use ArcGIS Desktop 10.0.
Does the SP1 apply to ArcGIS 10.0 as well ? or only 10.1 ?

I made a model using the solution provided in this thread, but even that is not as efficient as the tool used to be. I am still confused in regard to why a tool that worked fine before does not work anymore even though I am using the same datasets, same projections, same version of ArcGIS.

best,
Yvan

The fix is only available in 10.1 SP1 and greater.

Not sure as to your difference. Something must have changed, make sure your repro steps are exactly the same.  Perhaps the order of rasters has an effect in your case?  If only one of your datasets has nodata values, try to put that raster as the last raster in your input list. You would need to investigate your point locations and rasters to tell.  To trouble shoot... you can look at the result of indiviual rasters to verify if any points fall on a raster NOData (null) cell.  Keep in mind if format .shp  NoData will be 0, and NULL  in a file geodatabase.

Goodluck.

Regards,
-Ryan
0 Kudos
StellaHubert
New Contributor
I have installed ArcGIS10.1 and SP1 but when I use the Extract Multi Values to Points with a multi-layer tiff I want to get the values from, the program writes the same first value into all columns of the file.

I desperately need to use the tool. Any ideas what is wrong????
0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor
I have installed ArcGIS10.1 and SP1 but when I use the Extract Multi Values to Points with a multi-layer tiff I want to get the values from, the program writes the same first value into all columns of the file.

I desperately need to use the tool. Any ideas what is wrong????

This issue was resolved in the next release of 10.2.1

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/TklNMDg1MTI4

Sorry for the inconveinence.  The work around solution for this is to add each of the individual bands of the raster as input, rather than one parent raster dataset.
0 Kudos
CaitiSteele
New Contributor
This issue was resolved in the next release of 10.2.1

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/TklNMDg1MTI4

Sorry for the inconveinence.  The work around solution for this is to add each of the individual bands of the raster as input, rather than one parent raster dataset.

I have the same problem with the first value being written across all fields (v.10.2). The link above does not seem to link to 10.2.1. Unless I'm missing something? As for the workaround, I have 242 fields in each raster file and 10 rasters to extract points from. files. Entering 2420 layers individually as a workaround is not a welcoming idea. 

Any other ideas? Or is there an alternative link to 10.2.1?
0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor
I have the same problem with the first value being written across all fields (v.10.2). The link above does not seem to link to 10.2.1. Unless I'm missing something? As for the workaround, I have 242 fields in each raster file and 10 rasters to extract points from. files. Entering 2420 layers individually as a workaround is not a welcoming idea. 

Any other ideas? Or is there an alternative link to 10.2.1?

The link references the defect (NIMBUS change request) that was resolved. You would need to sign into arcgis with your global account to view the details. This may or may not be of any help to you.

This particular issue is with multiband raster as input.  The workaround suggested would be to specify each of the indivual rasters bands as input rather than the single multiband raster dataset. 

This result of this tool will only extract the value of each input raster specified.  So if you have 10 input rasters(or bands), you get 10new fields (the VALUE for each).

What is your ultimate goal or requirment?  Can you provide the steps you are following to produce your issue? If possible I would recommend to contact customer support for assistance, there we can get your issues resolved in a timely manner.

Regards,
-Ryan
0 Kudos
CaitiSteele
New Contributor
Hello Ryan,
With respect to the link ... I did try to sign in with my personal global account, but it goes nowhere - just returns me to the sign-in page. should I have our site rep use the site global account instead?

The workaround is proving laborious. I have 10 raster files, each with 242 layers. I want to extract values from each of those 242 layers to a points shapefile containing 425 points. This would result in a shapefile containing 425 rows and 245 integer fields (including FID, geometry and ID)

To test the process (in ArcCatalog, using Extract Multi Values to Points) I used a subset of the point data (25 points) and I clipped the multilayer raster to the same extent as the points file. I added all 242 layers from the clipped multilayer raster file as "input rasters" by dragging and dropping from "Contents". This took a long time to load - at least 30 minutes. From the screengrab, perhaps you can see the next issue. The output layer name for layer 1 became Layer_1_10; Layer 10 became Layer_1_11 and so forth. In trying to change the output field name, it is taking around 4-5 minutes for the entry to "stick". During that time ArcCatalog hangs and gives the message that it is "not responding".

In ArcGIS 9.x I would use Hawth tools to do this (http://www.spatialecology.com/htools/isect.php) ... right now I am hunting for alternatives to "Extract Multi Values to Points" unless there is a more efficient way to this workaround.
thanks,
Caiti

I will have our Site rep contact ESRI Customer Support with this issue too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29421[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor
Thank you Caiti, that is helpful.

So for one case you have a raster dataset with 242 bands.   Adding them all at one time the validation in the tool is taking a long time, because there are so many layers, with each change it has to validate all of them again.  That is a big pain and I can understand your frustrations. 

Please contact customer support and log a bug for this issue when loading many layers into the tool. 

My suggestion at this point,
1) Use a file geodatabase point feature instead of the shapefile.  The field issues will improve as there is no field name length limiations as in shape fie. Also it supports <NULL> (nodata).
2) How savy are you with python?  Best bet would be to loop through the raster bands one by one and extract the value. This would mimic running the tool if mutlibands was working correctly for you.   I created a sample scipt tool.  See the attached .zip file.  Run the tool and specify the full path to your input (fgdb feature, input multiband raster dataset).  Give it a whirl.

Feel free to modify it as needed.

Good luck.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
BrianEddy
New Contributor III

This is an old thread, but I had this problem over the past couple of days - and could not figure out how to fix it.  I was trying to run it from within ArcMAP (10.3 - just recently installed) - and I guess that was the problem.  I closed ArcMap and ran it from within Catalog and it worked (as someone suggested above).

The thing is - why shouldn't this also work from within ArcMap? 

Brian

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Compare the environments in effect when you ran it in ArcCatalog versus ArcMap. (The environment is shown in the Results tab.) Often when the tool runs in one app and not in another that is the cause for the different behavior.

But with EMVTP, who knows, it and its sister tools (Extract Values To Points, Sample, etc.) are a puzzle.

0 Kudos