Not only dissolving the shape but merging the attributes

03-29-2019 02:37 PM
GordonBaker
New Contributor II

I dissolve overlapping polygons to determine where they overlap. The shapes that dissolve are correct. The next step I want is to merge the records into 1 polygon. My problem is when 2 polygons overlap it creates 2 identical shapes polygons. The only difference is the attribute data behind it. Can I somehow combine the attribute data into a single polygon, that says Circle1,Circle2?  The picture I uploaded may aid in my query.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Dissolve—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

For text, you are only given the option to use first or last.  You could always try a spatial or attribute join back of missing attributes if needed.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If you used Delete Identical tool using the SHAPE field that would remove duplicated geometries, so removing "stacked geometries".

As Dan Patterson suggests you can join data back to the polygons. A trick I use is to extract the centroid, then concatenate the XY coordinate into a single string field this then becomes a unique ID for the point that always sits inside your polygon. You can then hook into this ID for joining data back to it.