Node reduction

11-28-2016 09:36 AM
LanoYado
New Contributor III

I wondered if there is a way to reduce some nodes in a network. For instance, if there are two or more adjacent nodes (orange color), these nodes for my problem can be merged together as single nodes. In the figure below, nodes 41, 42, and 43 can be merged and forms a single node connected to the nodes 11 and 56. Any idea to do so?

Thanks

Best wishes

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Some questions to help clarify what you want:

1.  When the nodes get reduced to one, does it matter where the resulting one "collapsed" node is spatially?  Does it need to be at one of the existing nodes to be collapsed locations or can it be a totally new place, like the central location of all the collapsed nodes?
  2. Is there any constraint on the nodes location in relation to the existing line features?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
LanoYado
New Contributor III

Thanks Chris for the reply. It does not matter where the new merged node will be as long as keeping all lines connect the individual nodes that form the new node with their neighbors. The new location could be any "old" location of the existing nodes or it could be a central location or any place else. There will not be any constraint on the location of the nodes except keeping the total connection to the neighbors with no change. The lines among merged-nodes, of course, will be deleted; for example, lines: 41-42 and 41-43 will be eliminated while lines 41-11 and 41-56 will be there. Note that a single line is enough to connect the new node to the node 56 although the old lines are two.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

The main Idea to solve this problem that :

1- select orange points that intersect with same line.

2-select one point only from each line selection,then delete other.

That will remove all unwanted orange points.

3-now we need to delete the lines that haven't any point in (start or end ) line.

you can use topology for this.

Use python or model builder for previous propose. 

0 Kudos
LanoYado
New Contributor III

Sorry Abdullah, I didn't get your point. Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos