No support for Bing Maps in ArcGIS Server Geoprocessing Services?

02-07-2014 12:20 AM
NeoGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III
Does anyone know of a way to use Bing Maps in geoprocessing services?

In case you are wondering, I do have an Enterprise Bing License, and I have installed the Bing Patch for 10.0 and the key, which works fine on the Desktop but not on ArcGIS Server.  It works fine in the Flex app as well, but not in ArcGIS Server geoprocessing services (using ArcPy for example).  I am working toward moving to 10.2 but it has been months of work migrating all of our tools.  Does it even work in 10.2?

Thank you
0 Kudos
9 Replies
NeoGeo
by
To be more specific, for this particular problem it comes down to Bing support in the arcpy.mapping module since that is what the ArcGIS Server geoprocessing service is using.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
BING took away their usage of their maps in ESRI unless you register for the service and are willing to pay a monthly fee.

I cannot verify it but last I heard it was something like $8000 a month to use BING Maps

To be more specific, for this particular problem it comes down to Bing support in the arcpy.mapping module since that is what the ArcGIS Server geoprocessing service is using.
0 Kudos
NeoGeo
by
As stated in the original post, I already have an expensive Enterprise Bing license which works fine in ArcGIS Desktop because there is a patch for Desktop to allow you to install the key, but I have not gotten it to work in ArcGIS Server Geoprocessing services using arcpy.mapping.
0 Kudos
NeoGeo
by
I wanted to test this further.  I wrote a 3 line script using arcpy.mapping.exporttopdf using a mxd that contained Bing maps with an Enterprise Bing key registered in ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.  Running from the Desktop it was successful, but I am unable to determine if the script is running under ArcGIS Server's arcpy or ArcGIS Desktop's arcpy so that tells me nothing.

I took another script using arcpy.mapping and ran it from the Desktop.  It worked with the Bing maps on the Desktop.  I published the script as a geoprocessing service.  I then ran it from the Geoprocessing Service and every layer showed up except Bing.  Just to test further, I ran the tool from c:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Geoprocessing_Services\<servicename.GPServer>\extracted\v101 where it was published to (just to make sure the publishing process had not broken it) and that one ran successfully as well apparently because I was running it from the Desktop and not as a geoprocessing service.

Does anyone know if ESRI is going to start supporting Bing Maps again for ArcGIS Server Geoprocessing?
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
Starting at 10.1, ArcGIS Server provides solutions for printing from web applications -- out of the box PrintingTools service is the easy and quick one to start with.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/#/Printing_in_web_applications/0154000004w5000000/

have you consider using that instead of your own arcpy export to pdf solution? if so, I was wondering is there any reason you can't use that.

thanks.
0 Kudos
NeoGeo
by
While rewriting our existing tools that use our existing print tool is doable given enough time, there are other things in the new out-of-the-box print tool that are unacceptable, lack of support for composite symbology being one, lack of support for transparency, and a few other capabilities we have in our own print tool.  I do not remember what all of the issues I had with it were as it has been a long while since I tested it.  I don't recall it having support for printing the graphics layer either though I do not remember for sure.
0 Kudos
JoeySyer
New Contributor
We are experiencing the exact same issue. Running our script from the server exports everything except the Bing Map - running the script from a desktop exports everything. Has anyone found a solution to this?
0 Kudos
NeoGeo
by
As far as I can tell, there is no solution unless ESRI decides to offer a patch for server like they did for Desktop.
0 Kudos
NeoGeo
by

It has been two years and two versions of ArcGIS since this post was started and it still has not been fixed.  While I was talking to ESRI support about two other new bugs, I logged this problem with them, so at least they are now aware of it, so perhaps it will get fixed in a future version.

0 Kudos