No module named subprocess

04-20-2012 12:49 PM
JohnMauger
New Contributor
I've looked all over the internet for the solution and I can't find it.   When running most Spatial tools, I get "No module named subprocess".  Any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Which versin of Python do you have?
0 Kudos
JohnMauger
New Contributor
I´m using Python 2.5.1.  ArcGIS 9.3
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Here is an old forum thread - try that solution:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/33851-Error-setting-GP-Properties-in-a-Python-Subprocess

I'm not sure what's going on. Most probably the problem is in the module search path. Just before the import subprocess line, try printing sys.path as:

import sys
print sys.path
import subprocess

Make sure you are not using two different python executable (one installed by ArcGIS and the other by you/someone else?)

If that does not solve your issuse please call tech support.
0 Kudos
JohnMauger
New Contributor
Thank you, but this is all way over my head.  I'm also in Ecuador which makes calling tech support too costly.
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Have you tried the options pointed to in the above post?
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
A more straightforward fix to python path issues (although somewhat drastic) is to entirely uninstall arcgis and python, make sure they are both all gone (including using Esri's uninstall uitlity AND the Control Panel add/remove programs wizard), then reinstall ArcGIS "clean" (this will set up Python too).

Often multiple versions of python and leftovers from incomplete uinstalls can totally mess up anything that uses Python. This can easily happen if you have other versions installed before you installed this version of ArcGIS.
0 Kudos