need to draw a single point

Jump to solution
12-18-2014 08:29 AM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

I have a manhole base map, and my surveyor has gone out and found a new one. I have a Northing/Easting for this point. How can I edit my shape file and just input the N,E for this one point? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Mike,

In Arcmap with your layer added. Click the Editor menu on the Editor toolbar and click Start Editing.

Open the Create Features window by clicking Create Features Create Features on the Editor toolbar.

In the Create Features window, click your manhole point feature template. This sets up the editing environment so that you will be creating new point features in the manhole layer.

Right click on the map and select absolute x y (I think F6 also takes you here). Type in your coords to create a new feature

Regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Mike,

In Arcmap with your layer added. Click the Editor menu on the Editor toolbar and click Start Editing.

Open the Create Features window by clicking Create Features Create Features on the Editor toolbar.

In the Create Features window, click your manhole point feature template. This sets up the editing environment so that you will be creating new point features in the manhole layer.

Right click on the map and select absolute x y (I think F6 also takes you here). Type in your coords to create a new feature

Regards

Anthony

Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Forgot about that one, thanks Anthony.

0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Well, the easiest way would be to go to those coordinates on the map and add a point. One of the tools on the Tools toolbar is Go To XY:

GoToXY.PNG

There's also the Add XY Coordinates tool. Either way, you'll need the new coordinates in the same coordinate system as your shapefile,

0 Kudos