Need Help: Create Feature Class from XY table

04-25-2012 07:50 AM
JohnHollingsworth
New Contributor
In ArcMap 10 I have a map where all of the data is in the Geographic CoorSys of GCS_WGS_1984 and the frame has a Projected CoordSys of WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiallary_Sphere.

I also have a spreadsheet containing populated latitude and longitude fields.

When I try to use the Create Feature Class->From XY Table... the tool plots the data at the equator. Now I can guess that this is because the tool is evaluating the lat/lon data as meters. I have tried a variety of different input coordinate systems and all of them behave the same way.

My question is how to put the data on the map with the above givens.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and response.

Cheers,

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
What coordinate system was the data collected in?  You will need to select the same coordinate system within the tool.  Can you provide a sample of the data?
0 Kudos
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
If the spreadsheet values are in latitude and longitude units, then you have to plot them in a 'geographic' coordinate space (which is measured in latitude and longitude).
To do it interactivly, create a new data frame in geographic coordinates (and wgs84) and run Create Feature Class-> From XY Table in that frame.

Save the output feature class and define its coordinate system appropriately (as GCS_WGS_1984). You can do that by exporting it from your GCS_WGS_1984 data frame, using the data frame coordinate system, or through the Properties menu when you right click the new FC in ArcCatalog (or by using the Toolbox Tool).
0 Kudos