Multiple geoprocessing tasks

08-12-2012 06:06 PM
MikeLouwrens
Occasional Contributor III
Is it possible to run multiple geoprocessing tasks at the same time?  I have a few tasks I want to run (unrelated tasks, using unrelated data) and it would be helpful to be able to run them all at the same time so I don't have to wait for each one to finish.

At the moment I appear to be able to queue the tasks, but they don't run simultaneously.  Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to make the tasks run simultaneously?

Running ArcCatalog 10.1

Cheers,
Mike.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
markdenil
Running several tasks from the same script would require threading, which ArcGIS does not really do.
However, one can turn on background processing, which allows you to "continue working with ArcMap", but that just queues other tools up.

The best bet is to run separate geoprocessing scripts from separate python windows.
0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens
Thanks for your reply.

I don't want/need to run multiple tasks from one script, it would just be nice to be able to run multiple scripts at once.  I guess I could run them from command line to do that for the ones that don't require input parameters.

Mike.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
You certainly can run multiple scripts/processes at once. Here's a link to an example using the subprocess moodule: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/33602-Arcpy-Multiprocessor-issues?p=177418&viewfull=1#post177418
0 Kudos