ModelBuilder freezes when running Get Raster Properties

10-24-2016 07:33 AM
DamonHess
New Contributor II

I created several models that require running Get Raster Properties and all worked fine for several months, until about 2 to 4 weeks ago. Now when I run any of the models (including backups from 3.5 months ago) in Model Builder ("edit" mode) it runs fine, but when I try to run it from the toolbox ("Open") it freezes on Get Raster Properties. This happens on all models that use Get Raster Properties. Further, a newly created model will run Get Raster Properties from the toolbox until another tool is connected to it. Things I have tried to resolve the issue:

1) checking forums on this site - found none that apply

2) deleted and added Get Raster Properties - this did not help

3) created a new model with Get Raster Properties - as previously mentioned, it works when the tool is added by itself, but not when it takes the output from another tool (such as the Clip tool).

4) tested on a coworker's computer - same issue occurs; freezes at Get Raster Properties and requires ending the process from Task Manager

5) Tried running with Background GP enabled and disabled - makes no difference, freezes

6) Uninstalled Arc Hydro Tools - still freezes

7) Uninstalled 64-bit Background Geoprocessing - still freezes

😎 sent to ESRI along with sample shapefile - it works fine on their system

9) had IT perform a clean install of ArcMap - did not help

I am running ArcMap 10.3.1 on Windows 7 SP1 64 Enterprise. I do not currently know Python (soon to change), so scripting is not a viable solution at the moment. Any help on this issue would be of great...help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you use the same raster during the testing?

Does it behave with all rasters?

What is the raster type and location?

0 Kudos
DamonHess
New Contributor II

I have tried several different rasters. The process flow is:

Polygon (shapefile)-->Polygon to Line-->Euclidean Distance-->Clip (Raster Processing)-->Get Raster Properties

I have tried several different shapefiles, and all have the same issue. Get Raster Properties will function fine in a model by itself, but once I connect it to the output of the Clip function it breaks. So when I say it does this with several different rasters, I mean I have tried using different polygons to create the rasters with the above process. I discovered this by creating a new model with just Get Raster Properties (which works fine), and then adding on another process (Clip - which then will not work). 

The raster type is grid, since I have not specified an extension.

The location is a directory in root: C:\GIS_Temp

Also, no files begin with numbers, have spaces or otherwise prohibited characters (just underscore), or exceed 13 characters in length.

What confuses me is how it ran for months without a problem, runs fine on the ESRI staff's computer, yet freezes on both mine and my coworker's computers.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is one of the reasons I was asking.... how many files are in that folder if you have been using it repeatedly.  I would assume that the coworkers folder was a brand new folder you created and tried it?  and that goes for your repeated attempts... input data into a new folder as well as output. Folders have a certain limit as do temporary folders and the like.  I would suggest that you have a look at that first, since you indicated that it worked fine on esri staff's computer.  You have to rule out system stuff on your computer first since it has worked elsewhere (but not on your colleague's)

0 Kudos
DamonHess
New Contributor II

Well I am not sure what has happened but now it is working. It was not working for about 2 weeks, including this morning. After reading your response, I deleted that folder, emptied my %temp% folder and recycle bin, and then tried the model again and it worked, taking about half the time it used to. I thought that this may have solved the problem, so I went to my coworkers computer and we tried it there, and it worked there as well, which was not expected. On Friday, the model did not work on his computer, and we had to create the temp directory (C:\GIS_Temp) on his computer because it did not exist. I asked IT if there were any system changes and was told there was an update this weekend, but that would not explain the model encountering the same problems this morning and not this afternoon.

Thank you very much for your help. I am still bewildered as to exactly what went wrong and I was hoping I could find an answer and post it here for anyone else that encounters this issue. At least there are several things to try.

And for anyone following my attempts to resolve this issue, do not uninstall 64-bit Background Geoprocessing if you do not have the installer. It is not available online like Arc Hydro Tools or other tools.

0 Kudos