ModelBuilder: Can't create Feature Class in SDE Feature Dataset

10-05-2011 11:22 AM
MattPratap
New Contributor
Hi,

(ArcGIS 10.0)
I am using ModelBuilder to create a simple model which will create a feature class in an SDE feature dataset.
My model consists of "Create Feature Class" tool, the feature class location being my dataset.

It always creates the feature class in the root of SDE only. Same behaviour when running script in python.

The help states:
"
out_path The ArcSDE, file, or personal geodatabase, or the folder in which the output feature class will be created. This workspace must already exist.  Workspace; Feature Dataset
"

why can't it be created in the feature dataset?

thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Matt - I tested on my ArcGIS 10 SDE and the tool worked as expected.  Sounds like a permissions issue perhaps.  Do you have read/write permissions on the FDS?

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
MattPratap
New Contributor
Matt - I tested on my ArcGIS 10 SDE and the tool worked as expected.  Sounds like a permissions issue perhaps.  Do you have read/write permissions on the FDS?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have full permissions, and I went to try again and same results.   So I shut down ArcGIS Editor, Catalog and Server which was using the SDE instance. 
Just tried it now - it works.  Strange. Maybe there was some sort of lock on the dataset?

thanks
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Agreed - sounds like there was a lock on the FDS thereby preventing you from creating a new FC in the FDS.  Glad it's working now...
0 Kudos