Model Builder to hide fields in attrbitute table

12-03-2013 06:15 AM
JamariPowers
New Contributor III
In ArcMap toolbox, there is a tool called Strip Map Index Features. When you run it, it produces an attribute table wit several columns / fields. Some of these fields include 'Shape', 'PageNumber', 'SeqId', 'Previous', 'Next' ,'LeftPage' ,'RightPage', etc. I have plugged this tool into Model Builder. Is there a way to hide or not display any of these columns / fields in the attribute table, using Model Builder or any or tool?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
In ArcMap toolbox, there is a tool called Strip Map Index Features. When you run it, it produces an attribute table wit several columns / fields. Some of these fields include 'Shape', 'PageNumber', 'SeqId', 'Previous', 'Next' ,'LeftPage' ,'RightPage', etc. I have plugged this tool into Model Builder. Is there a way to hide or not display any of these columns / fields in the attribute table, using Model Builder or any or tool?

The Make Feature Layer tool controls field visibility within Model Builder.  In Desktop you can alter visibility on the Fields tab of a layer.
0 Kudos
JamariPowers
New Contributor III
Oh wow, thanks alot. I will take a look at this tool, experiment with it and see if it suits my needs. Most likely will reply back to this thread later on in the day. Again, thanks for your input.
0 Kudos
JamariPowers
New Contributor III
I've looked at the 'Make Feature Layer' tool. It outputs a Layer when I'm ultimately dealing with Shape files. I notice that it requires an 'Input Features' for Input. The only option that I can select that will populate the filed name list below is an option that is an already outputted file. In other words, since I'm in ArcMap, I'd have to run my tool first, generate the output (we'll call it File_A.shp) and then select that ouput (File_A.shp) as the input to Input Features.

I'm not sure if I can run these two tools simultaneously. Because the attribute table is being generated after the tool is ran, I'd have to somehow set the outputted file to also become the input to Input Features. I hope that made sense. I'm stilll experimenting with the tool though.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I've looked at the 'Make Feature Layer' tool. It outputs a Layer when I'm ultimately dealing with Shape files. I notice that it requires an 'Input Features' for Input. The only option that I can select that will populate the filed name list below is an option that is an already outputted file. In other words, since I'm in ArcMap, I'd have to run my tool first, generate the output (we'll call it File_A.shp) and then select that ouput (File_A.shp) as the input to Input Features.

I'm not sure if I can run these two tools simultaneously. Because the attribute table is being generated after the tool is ran, I'd have to somehow set the outputted file to also become the input to Input Features. I hope that made sense. I'm stilll experimenting with the tool though.

Actually, the problem is that your tool is not compliant with ESRI tools that have to supply a Validation script that exposes the field list of the tool derived from its inputs.  All ESRI tools build these validation into them, which is why with one of their tools you can see a field list built by the tool.  So you must look up tool validation scripts in the help if you want your tool to behave like tools ESRI provides.  It is not for the faint of heart and I have to go so I can't give any details right now.
0 Kudos
JamariPowers
New Contributor III
Not for the faint of heart!?!? So it must be a pretty tough issue to tackle....but doable nonetheless. I'll look into it and see what I can find. Hiding specific fields would great but not necessarily a must have. THanks for your asisstance.
0 Kudos