Model Builder - Intersect Tool is not Intermediate

08-07-2013 06:18 AM
SamuelPiel
New Contributor II
I built a model that iterates out individual shapefiles based on an attribute field.  The intended workflow is that you run the Intersect tool between 2 shapefiles and the iterator spits out an individual shapefile based on the newly acquired attribute data.  It works perfectly, however the Intersect tool does not allow me to select its output as Intermediate (the selection is grayed out).  So what I end up with is my desired output and one random shapefile that I don't need.  I can simply delete the unwanted shapefile after all is said and done, but ModelBuilder is designed to handle this for me, so why is it not letting me do it and how do I get around it? 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26535[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SarahSchwarzer2
New Contributor II
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm curious about this as well!
0 Kudos
SamuelPiel
New Contributor II
I did find a solution.  The issue isn't that the Intersect output can't be intermediate, but apparently the Iterator input can't be for some unknown reason.  So I thought I could get around it by adding in a tool that does not produce an output (Make Feature Layer) and make that the input for the Iterator.  It worked in that the model validates, but the tool would just loop and not produce the output.  So I added in the Select Layer By Location tool (which also doesn't produce an output) to see if selecting the features helps, and it did.
0 Kudos