Model Builder Inputs/Outputs errors

12-04-2013 04:34 AM
JanDevátý
New Contributor
Hi everyone,
I'm quite experienced with Model Builder and scripting with python but I recently hit a problem that I can not resolve:

I have created quite complicated model in Model Builder (ArcMap 10.2) having about 20 inputs (Layers/Feature Classes, Strings, multiple Feature Classes ...) and two output Feature Classes.
When I feed the model with inputs in the Model Builder editing environment everything works just fine and it does what it should. BUT when I execute the model from the Toolbox and feed it with the same data (even when I save the edited model with the inputs and then just executed it) I got 4 errors #000735 (2 times "Input Features: Value is requiered" and 2 times "Output Feature Class: Value is requiered").
I understand what the errors mean, the problem is that the Error pop-up window doesn't say anything about what are the tools that cause the problem. So I have no clue where to dig to eliminate the bug. And second of all I can not locate the trouble spot from the editing environment, because everything works fine there ...

I'd like to have the resulting model "compact and distributable" without the need to edit it everytime I (or anyone else) would like to execute it.
I searched the internetz, I searched this forum, but didn't find anything to help me move forward ...

Any help will be much appriciated
0 Kudos
3 Replies
sylvainpetiteau
New Contributor
Hi,

I agree with you that error message does not help a lot to identify the problem source.

Did you define all your input table as model parameters?

Gaspard
0 Kudos
JanDevátý
New Contributor
Hi Gaspard,
thanks for the suggestion, but of course I have all the requiered inputs and outputs set as parametres.

What really confuse me are the "output errors": there are two Feature Class outputs in the model, both of them are set correctly by full path and file name and I get two "Output Feature Class: Value is requiered" errors. So the error says that both of my outputs are set wrong. I close the tool dialog, go to editing the to tool, don't change anything at all and just click "Run" the model ... and everything works just fine ...
Just for you to see that the paths and filenames are correct, all of them are like: "D:\Dokumenty\BV\2013\preprocessing\Kolin\LU\landuse.shp" ... no spaces or special characters ...

Now I fear the only solution is to convert the whole thing to Python script, where I have complete control of each step and exceptions and everything ... but it would be a lot of work and I really would like to avoid it 🙂

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jan
0 Kudos
KathrynTucker
New Contributor
You said the "error window" doesn't tell you where it's failing... just to be thourough, have you checked the geoprocessing results messages? What about re-opening the model in edit mode, will the "shadows" remain from running it from the toolbox showing where it did sucussfully complete steps?

If you've already checked this then I don't know where to go next 😕
0 Kudos