Model builder - buffer tool

05-20-2013 09:41 PM
ThillaiNadarajan
New Contributor III
Hi

I am interested in creating a model with buffer tool . My requirement is to provide the distance by the user at the time of executing the model. It means that it should ask for the DISTANCE for the user to enter.

So that I can give different values each time i run the model.

Thanks

Thillai
0 Kudos
4 Replies
EjayLai
New Contributor II
Hi

I am interested in creating a model with buffer tool . My requirement is to provide the distance by the user at the time of executing the model. It means that it should ask for the DISTANCE for the user to enter.

So that I can give different values each time i run the model.

Thanks

Thillai

Here are the steps:
1. Create a model
2. Drag the Butter (Analysis) tool to the model
3. Provide an input feature/shapefile to be buffered, where to save it and rename them if necessary...
4. Right-clicking the Buffer tool and select Make Variable > From Parameters > Distance
5. Distance parameter will be created, right-click on it and select Model Parameter (that's the magic touch!)
6. Save it and close it
7. Open it from where you have saved to and it will ask you for a distance

Hope this helps!
ThillaiNadarajan
New Contributor III
Hi Harry,

Thank you for giving me the steps. It works.

Regards
Thillai
0 Kudos
EjayLai
New Contributor II
Hi Harry,

Thank you for giving me the steps. It works.

Regards
Thillai

You are welcome. But please mark it "as answered" so that the red flag will be removed otherwise others may thought it is a 'cold case'!
0 Kudos
AdamRobbins
New Contributor
Great response.  This is just what I was looking for.  I actually wanted to know one additional thing though.  Is this applicable for an arcGIS online map?  For instance, I've created a map and I want to embed it onto my website.  When the user comes to my website, I want them to be able to input their address, which will then feed into a model which will generate a 500 mile buffer around that location automatically.  Is this even possible on arcGIS online?
0 Kudos