Model Builder basics - can't keep track of tool outputs

09-26-2013 02:09 AM
MikeTree
New Contributor III
I'm getting confused by a fundamental of model builder, see attached png. I'm using in_memory table outputs.

I get 'Join03' as a result of a table operation upstream. Then I apply a Calculate Field tool, but that tool doesn't give me an option to create a new output. It merely turns Join03 into Join03 (2).

In the Table of Contents I have no way to open these tables to compare, because Join03 (2), when added to display, appears as Join03.

So how can I compare the input Join03 against the output Join03 (2)? I need to browse these tables to check that my calculation is doing what it ought to do, but there's no way to do that because the operation is overwriting the original table. How do I output to a separate table? Where is the option to configure a separate output?

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

Calculate Field doesn't create a new table, it is working with the input table. It wouldn't be so advantageous if every calculation would generate a new output.
It's the same when you calculate a field in ArcMap using Field Calculator or Calculate Geometry.

What do you want to compare?

I don't see your whole Model, but you can try to use the Copy tool before the Calculate Field tool, which gives you the original table, and another table with your calculation.

Regards,
Akos
0 Kudos
AnushuyaRamakrishnan
New Contributor
Hi,

You need to give the input table as a part of your input and label it as model parameter

Give the steps u need to perform as you would do in a flow chart and incorporate them in the model builder

Say, u wish to perform spatial join and relate... then bring that tool into the model and connect it to your output table.

Please be sure that you name your output raster (join) as well as output table specifically, so u can get individual output tables for each day u specify and it will not overwrite.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Anushuya
0 Kudos