Minimum length & width of irregular polygons

02-13-2013 11:15 AM
LisaAngstadt
New Contributor II
I have had a request to find polygons within our parcel layer a with minimum width of 1000' and length of 1000'. I tried converting polygons to lines, but not all lines are split appropriately, so it did not yield correct results. The majority of our parcels are irregular polygons, so I cannot use the Bounding Box tool. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lisa Angstadt
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you looking for the edge of minimum length for each parcel? If so, try:

1.  Run Slit Line At Vertices tool; it works for polygons too. The output lines carry input poly IDs (ORIG_FID).
2.  Run Summary Statistics tool on the split lines, using the ORIG_FID as case field and specifying MINIMUM for shape_length field.
3.  If necessary, use Join Field tool to transfer the minimum_shape_length from the summary table back to input polys via the OBJECTID and ORIG_FID.
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
LisaAngstadt
New Contributor II
Hi Bruce,

We are still at 10.0. Will the Fishnet tool work with it?

Thanks,
Lisa
0 Kudos
LisaAngstadt
New Contributor II
Dan,

I tried the split vertices tool, but it didn't yield the results I need. Maybe it would be better to describe the request as finding parcels that have an area of at least 1000' x 1000'? But because the polygons are irregular, it would need to be two perpendicular sides with at least 1000', if that makes it any clearer!

thanks,
Lisa
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
it would need to be two perpendicular sides with at least 1000', if that makes it any clearer!

If you have access to Spatial Analyst, you may want to try Zonal Geometry As Table using a unique polygon identifier as the zone value. The Thickness value this tool calculates may be what you need.
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
Lisa,

Are you trying to find parcels to fit a 1000' x 1000' square or a circle of 1000' diameter inside?
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Bruce,

We are still at 10.0. Will the Fishnet tool work with it?

Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa
The tools needs 10.1 sorry.
Regards
0 Kudos
LisaAngstadt
New Contributor II
Lisa,

Are you trying to find parcels to fit a 1000' x 1000' square or a circle of 1000' diameter inside?

Dan,

I believe we are looking for 1000' x 1000' square minimum areas. Still have not found a solution!

thanks,
Lisa
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
Lisa,

Fittinng a square inside a polygon is more complicated than fitting a circle because the same square can fit different space/width when rotated. Try the following, which ensures the suitable polygons found are at least as wide as the diagonal of the square:

1. Run Buffer tool using a negative distance, -707' about half of the diagonal of the square. The output polygons are all inside input polygons that are at least as wide as the diagonal of the square. The output polygons may be multipart. You can center the square at any location inside these buffer polygons without going outside of the input polygons.
2. Run Spatial Join (or select layer by location) tool to join the input polygons with the buffers using INTERSECT or CONTAINS match option; the joint polygons are suitable for the square.

Optional:
- After step 1, run Multipart To Singlepart tool on the buffer polygons to make them singlepart. That way you will know if an input polygon is joint with more than one singlepart buffer polygons in step 2.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos