Merging overlapping layers into one.

Jump to solution
10-13-2014 01:01 PM
MarleneSanchez
New Contributor

I am looking for a way to do a spatial union on multiple overlapping polygons. I haven't had much luck using the geoprocessing tools.

Is there a way to create a single layer by merging multiple layers? I am not concerned with preserving the attributes of all the polygons, just want to display the area coverage.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Ok, you will want to perform a merge in an edit session using the Editor toolbar.  See the following link:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Marlene,

Take a look at the Union or Merge tools.  If you're looking at just preserving the overlapping areas, take a look at the Identity tool.

MarleneSanchez
New Contributor

Jake, I've tried using the tools you mentioned but the changes seem to be happening to the attributes, not the geometries. The number of polygons remains the same.

Let me try to state the question more accurately. There is one layer with many polygons (some are stacked on top of each other, some are not) that I am trying to merge into a single overlay.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Ok, you will want to perform a merge in an edit session using the Editor toolbar.  See the following link:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

MarleneSanchez
New Contributor

Awesome. Worked as intended.Thank you!

0 Kudos