Merging not working

Jump to solution
07-16-2014 12:05 AM
SoumilGore
New Contributor II

I am facing some issues with ArcGIS 10. When I merge to polygons either of the one or both the polygons gets deleted. I tried this on multiple shapefiles and also on geodatabase, but still getting the same result. this polygons were created as kml on Google Earth and the converted from kml to layer in ArcMap. Projection of both are same. Below are the screenshots of the merging process for reference.

1. Selected one polygon:

Inline image 1

2. Selected another polygon:

Inline image 2

3.Selected merge tool from Editor:

Inline image 3

Inline image 4

4. Result of the merge: Both features got deleted but on of the attribute which was selected at the time of merge is preserved.

Inline image 5

Please look into it and let me know if you need any other detail regarding the same

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your images didn't come through...could be a browser issue

In any event, if they are in shapefile format in a folder, run the Check Geometry or Repair Geometry tool to ensure that the translation from KML went smoothly

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your images didn't come through...could be a browser issue

In any event, if they are in shapefile format in a folder, run the Check Geometry or Repair Geometry tool to ensure that the translation from KML went smoothly

SoumilGore
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan. It is working now.

0 Kudos
SoumilGore
New Contributor II

Hello Dan,

The warning that repair geometry is throwing as incorrect ring ordering. Can you please explain what does it mean, if you know it?

thank you,

Soumil

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Exterior rings are supposed to run clockwise and interior rings (ie donut holes) are supposed to run counterclockwise.  Perhaps the software that you used doesn't conform to that standard or it was just corrupt.  I tend to use the free  DNRGps to do my translations since I use GPS frequently and I have had no issues converting between KML and shapefiles

DNR Garmin Application: Minnesota DNR